Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Can You Read This? [DVD Burning Issues]

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Can You Read This? [DVD Burning Issues] within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been trying to get help with my CD/DVD burner for a few months. It will still play CDs

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I have been trying to get help with my CD/DVD burner for a few months. It will still play CDs but will not burn them. I still don't know if the problem is software or hardware related. I recently ran across Windows Media Diagnostic Tool. I ran it and got a print out. The report is so long, I would have to post it in four different segments. I hope someone can tell me which are the essential parts of the report and can read them and see if an answer to my problems lie within the report. Thanks to anyone who offers help or suggestions.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi. . .

I don't burn CDs or DVDs very often, but will take a look at that report to see if any is apparant. Zip it up and attach to your next post.

What software are you using to burn? Has the burner ever worked on this system? Can you format a DVD+RW ok, then write to it and read from it?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 09-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I have had my computer for just over a year and have used my burner very little. No more than 25 times at the most. Initally, it would burn fine with WMP, Roxio and other software. Now it wont burn with any of them. It will not burn any kind of files now, including data.

I don't know about zipping a file and attaching it but I will try. Hope this works.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DOUG-PC_msinfo.txt (559.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
I Don't Know Yet..

My System

Have you used a drive cleaner? You would be surprised how much dirt can get inside your dvd drive. Applying a very small amount of cleaning fluid like vhs cleaning fluid or pure alcohol can improve the result.

Deleting the driver may help. When you reboot it will reinstall.

Worth a try.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I have never used a DVD drive cleaner. I hope they come with instructions. If I knew how to find my burn laser, I would try cleaning the lens to see if that helps. So far, I haven't been able to find anyone who can tell me how to find it.

I have tried deleting the drivers several times but it doesn't help.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi Doug. . .

I see you have 2 drives - do either work?

Code:
[CD-ROM]

Item	Value	
Drive	E:	
Description	CD-ROM Drive	
Media Loaded	No	
Media Type	UNKNOWN	
Name	SONY CDRWDVD CRX310S	
Manufacturer	(Standard CD-ROM drives)	
Status	OK	
Transfer Rate	-1.00 kbytes/sec	
SCSI Target ID	1	
PNP Device ID	IDE\CDROMSONY_CDRWDVD_CRX310S____________________VDK2____\4&39F6AC56&0&0.1.0	
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6001.18000, 65.50 KB (67,072 bytes), 5/19/2008 2:20 PM)	

Drive	F:	
Description	CD-ROM Drive	
Media Loaded	No	
Media Type	UNKNOWN	
Name	SONY DVD+-RW AW-Q160S	
Manufacturer	(Standard CD-ROM drives)	
Status	OK	
Transfer Rate	-1.00 kbytes/sec	
SCSI Target ID	2	
PNP Device ID	IDE\CDROMSONY_DVD+-RW_AW-Q160S___________________KDS1____\4&39F6AC56&0&0.2.0	
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6001.18000, 65.50 KB (67,072 bytes), 5/19/2008 2:20 PM)
Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi . . .

I count >250 app crashes and hangs of mostly media-related programs beginning on February 20, 2008. Is this when you got your system?

I also noticed that you updated to Vista SP1 in last week of July 2008. Why so late? Were there problems w/ Windows Updates or some other issue?

JC

Old 09-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Yes. Both drives will play but neither will burn. I got this computer (my first) in Feb 2007). SP1 was not installed automatically. And I was advised to wait about installing it myself until certain issues were corrected.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

A while back, I used a software I got off the Internet to make a copy of a DVD I purchased. The copy played very well until my burner stopped working. Now, When I try to play the copy DVD in E Drive or F Drive, I get good sound but the picture is so pixilated I can't make it out. Just now I discovered that my F drive will no longer recognise that I've inserted the video disk, yet it will play an audio cd very well.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi Doug. . .

I'd like to get some additional information from you. First, please insert the video disc in drive e: and let it play. Then do the same with drive f: Now repeat the same with an audio CD. Repeat again, but I want you to attempt to burn a disc. This needs to happen in rapid succession as I want to see what events are recorded in the Event Viewer log files.

Download the attached zip file and extract the 2 files in it to your desktop.
Go to your desktop, right-click on the batch file and select run as administrator. You will see a few screens appear. Just let it run and don't touch any keys. It should take several minutes to run.

The output will be in a new folder found within your documents folder named TSF_Vista_Support.

It is imperative that you run this batch file at the Administrator level or it will not have access to copy the Event Logs out.

Zip the contents of the new folder up and attach to your next post.

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

I performed the tasks you asked and then I didn't see the zippd files you attached. Am I overlooking them?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

When I first submitted the post, thezip file was not attached. A few minutes later, I edited the post and attached it. You must have seen the post immediately following my submittal. Sorry about that. Here is the attachment -

http://www.techsupportforum.com/atta...a_09-27-08.zip

Regards. . .

JC

Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

I am having a lot of problems with Kantaris. It has been uninstalled. Somehow it still attaches itself to my files. When I zipped this report, it came up showing as a Kantaris video file. If you can't use it, please let me know. When we get this issue resolved, I hope you can help me with this Kantaris issue.
Attached Files
File Type: rar TSF_Vista_Support.rar (1.10 MB, 6 views)
Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

When I looked at the TSF file, I noticed the event log couldn't be viewed. I think I have found a workaround that will get it to you in a way you can view it. Please let me know if this doesn't work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TSF_Vista_Support_rar Copy.zip (1.09 MB, 8 views)
Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #15
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi Doug. . .

I have gone through your Event Viewer logs and found these entries related to the CD/DVD:

Code:
Event[0]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: cdrom
  Date: 2008-09-28T13:09:12.218
  Event ID: 133
  Description: 
Device \Device\CdRom0 is locked for exclusive access.
Code:
Event[1]:
  Date: 2008-09-28T13:09:10.949
  Event ID: 51
  Level: Warning
  Description: 
An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.
Code:
Event[8]:
  Date: 2008-09-28T13:08:01.334
  Event ID: 7
  Description: 
The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.
Code:
Event[234]:
  Date: 2008-09-28T01:28:35.535
  Event ID: 7
  Description: 
The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.
Code:
Event[1490]:
  Date: 2008-09-24T17:23:42.108
  Event ID: 51
  Description: 
An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom3 during a paging operation.

These are explained in Microsoft kb244780. It appears they are harmless and are generated by placing a blank CD-R or DVD-R into the DVD/CD drive.

I have some other errors that I found, some related to burning apps, that I am looking up. I may have asked already, but do you recall when you first had issues w/ burning?

I assume that you have used various types of CDs and DVDs and not all are from the same supply ??

I found no entries related to the burning itself and am wondering now if there is a log somewhere on your system that may contain such entries. Please perform a system-wide search including hidden and system files uning the "everywhere" location for files ending in log - search parms = *.log.

Regards. . .

JC

Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Hi JC

Since it has been several months since my burner stopped burning, it is hard to remember events at that time. The one thing I do recall is that it started acting strangely and then stopped burning shortly after I burned a song with DRM to a CD and then ripped the CD back to the computer. At the time, I didn't know DRMs existed. (I'm new to computers and burning). I am curious to know if burning and ripping DRM protected material could have caused something to be written to the computer saying "don't burn".

Just before the burning stopped completely, I would burn (maybe 12) songs to a CD disc. On playback, the player had trouble finding and playing the first song. Sometimes, It wouldn't play the first song at all and the quality of the other tracks was not good. Now, when I try to burn with WMP, it shows that each track is being written to the disc and then the disc being finalized. However, on playback, WMP says the disc is blank and it is. I get the same results with Roxio. It tells me that the burn was successful yet the disc is blank. I have never gotten an error message with either while trying to burn.

I have burned one DVD since I've had this computer. It use to play well. Now, when I try to play it in WMP, it will not play automatically, even though I have made no changes to Auto Play. When I prompt it to play, the picture is highly pixilated with good sound. The same disc will play in GOM or VLC with good picture and sound.

Before the burning stopped, I could put a blank disc into either drive and Auto Play would ask me what I wanted to do with the blank disc. Now, the Auto Play window will not even come up, even though I have made no changes to the Auto Play settings.

Since I have done very little burning on this computer (it's the only one I've ever had), I have not used a variety of different brand discs. I have used TDK, Memorex and Maxall.

I tried the *.log search as best I knew how, using "show hidden files" and "everywhere". I didn't get any results.

I don't want to interject anything that may add confusion to the issue. However, I am curious as to whether the burn laser lens needs cleaning. This computer is being used in a less than ideally clean environment.

Just for the heck of it, I installed Napster. I tried to burn a CD with it. WMP would not recognize that a disc was in the tray and Roxio recognized the disc but said it was blank.

I want to thank you for what you have done so far. To date, no one else has gone to the extent you have to try to help me with this problem.

Doug
Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
Registered Member

Do you have SecuROM installed by any chance? It comes with just about every new game published by EA Games.

I've heard it can mess up your CD/DVD drive.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Thank you, but no. I don't do any gaming.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #19
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by likekinds View Post
Hi JC. . .I want to thank you for what you have done so far. To date, no one else has gone to the extent you have to try to help me with this problem. . .
Doug
Hi Doug. . .

You are welcome... and Thank you. I am glad to try and help here as you are enthusiastic on solving this and are completely forthcoming with the information that I seek. I could not ask for anything more.

I figured that you have tried different CD/DVDs, but had to ask.

I have rarely - very rarely - burned anything to CD or DVD. I recall burning some mp3s to about 8 CDs prior to a cross-county trip from NJ to Ca and back. I know that I have burned DVD ISOs for Linux and memtest86. Typically, I use DVD+RW, format them and use them as one would used USBs - b/c my kids "borrow" my USB sticks and I never see them again!

I have never used a cleaner for the burn laser lens and don't know anything about them. I recall using cleaners for VHS during college, but that of course involved tapes.

We could sit here and re-install the drivers, codecs, etc... but it all could be in vein. I have greater concerns for you and your system b/c you have so many app crashes and app hangs that I don't believe are completely related to this burning issue. My other concern is that when the day comes that you must use Vista DVDs for recovery - the option will not be available b/c the drives do not work properly.

My other problem here is that I could understand if you had one DVD drive and there were problems - but you have 2 w/ problems. This indicates to me there is corruption in the registry entries, not to mention what else looms.

I would like for you to un-install all burning software that you have installed to date. Then I would like for you to do the following:

Run the Vista System File Checker - SFC. Make sure both DVD drives are empty and closed.

START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select run as Administrator | the black command prompt ("DOS") screen will appear | type the following:
Code:
sfc /scannow
Let it run - there really is no min/max time, but if it goes on past 2 hours, please let me know immediately. It may show there was nothing to fix; it may also tell you that some could not be fixed - re-boot.

See if this helps. Try your drives again.

My last question for now - What are your feelings on a re-install of Vista - back to day 1 when you opened the box and turned your computer on for the first time? We also could try a system repair, which is really tantamount to SFC. I assume that you have a system recovery partition.

Please let me know how you make out.

Regards. . .

JC

Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

JC,

Just to let you know that I am going to run the sfc scan and will get back to you with the results tomorrow. In the meantime you may be interested to know that out of desperation I tried yet again to burn a list of 5 .mp3s to a cd disc in the E drive using WMP. It actually burned the 5 songs. However, When I tried to play them back, the player would not recognize the first track. The other tracks played ok and I can use the slider bar to force it to play the first track. Since the burner stopped working, I have had it come back a couple of times to this point where it would burn but with the results mentioned here and then go back to not burning at all even though WMP says it is writing and finalizing. I hope this added information may help.

Now, I will remove Napster, GOM, VLC , Media Classic Player and Realplayer and get on with the scan. I hope GOM or VLC are not the issue. They will play files WMP wont. We will see. Till tomorrow.

Thanks

Doug