Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Background Issue.

3K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello.
I'm not sure if this is the right section. If not, I'm sorry.
ANYWAYS, My background isn't looking right. My desktop icons aren't showing, nor is my start menu or task bar showing. The only way I can get around is by using the Task Manager. How would I get my background to function properly?
Hope this is clear..:sigh:

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
While in the process of following those steps, I noticed that the other user accounts didn't have an desktop icons. Nor did they even have a start button.
By the way, while I can't access the start menu, I also can't turn my computer's volume higher or lower. So, I never actually finished following those steps..

So I noticed that the other user profiles are also "corrupted".
The symptoms include:
-Nothing but a background color as a desktop.
-No task bar or start menu.
-Unable to toggle volume. (COMPUTER's volume)
-Unable to access Task bar and Start menu customization.

Any way to fix this?

#4 ·
Re: Background Issue.

Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode? Reboot the computer and tap F8 whilst it's starting. When the Safe Mode options come up (black screen) select 'Safe Mode', not the 'Safe Mode with Networking'. See if the icons are on the desktop when you do it this way.
Trying to see if a third party application/ program is causing the issue.
Did you notice this had started after downloading something?

#6 ·

Safe mode (without) networking was the one I wanted you to try.
Third party program meaning something that didn't come with your OS, like Norton, McAffee, ImgBurn, Truecrypt etc (programs you download)
You could try going into MSCONFIG and disabling items from the start abd then rebooting to see if that helps?
Press the Windows Key+R, then in the small window that appears, type MSCONFIG and hit return. Then go to the Startup tab and click 'Disable all', then apply and OK. You will then be asked to reboot. Let me know if any thing has returned after you have rebooted.
If it has, enable then back, one by one (starting at the top of the list) to see which one is causing the issue.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I tried it on "Safe Mode" and there were no icons still. When I press the Windows Key + R, no window appears.

Nevermind!! I got it back by toggling through some folders until I reached this random .exe that I happened to double click. Then everything came back! :laugh:

However, every time I restart my computer, I'd have to click that for everything to come back. How would I make this permanent?

Attachments

#10 ·

OK, just wanted to check that route. Go back and enable all again and we will try something else.
Do you have a Vista Recovery Disk, or better still the original Windows Vista DVD? If not then you can download a Vista Recovery Disk here
Make sure that you choose the correct one (32 or 64bit version) I'm guessing that yours is a 32bit OS?
You will need to burn that ISO to a DVD (use ImgBurn or your built in one that comes with Win 7) and then reboot with CD being the 1st boot option in BIOS.
If you want help on accessing your BIOS to change your boot order just let me know.
If you do have your original Windows DVD, you should be able to do a Start Up repair on your system.
Here are the Options you will get on the Vista Recovery Disk.
As with everything, make sure you backup all your important documents first.

#12 ·

Yes, the ISO should be 123MB in size. If you download ImgBurn (it will burn the ISO to CD/DVD for you) When you have downloaded ImgBurn, open the program and choose 'Write image file to disk', then in the next window simply locate the ISO image that you downloaded as your 'Source' file and your CD/DVD tray as the 'destination'. Make sure that 'Verify' is checked (by default it should be) and press the green arrow at the bottom to begin.
I actually think that you can create your own Recovery Disk in Vista, but I have never used Vista, so couldn't be sure hence I asked you to download it that way.
An ISO file by the way is an image file. It's a very common file type.
Yes, you will need a clean CD/DVD to have to hand.

#14 · (Edited)

Hi, sorry for the delay but I have been looking for work arounds and then testing them on my computer and it took a while.
You can make a bootable Vista Recovery USB. Do you have a USB stick, and if so, what size is it?
Also, with regards the 120MB size. That is the correct size.

#20 ·

I know this is elementary but it could easily have been overlooked, did you right click the desktop and choose "View" and then is "Show Desktop Icons" checked? If not do so.
I couldn't right click the desktop while it was in that state.
I don't have a USB stick. Also, even though this might work while going to the control panel>Personalization, I doubt it would be permanent. However, I was looking through a pile of discs I have and found 2 CDs that could be related to this problem.
-Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit SP1
-Dell Drivers and Utilities (For Reinstalling Dell Inspiron 1545 Computer Software

Should I use them?

#19 ·

One more simple thought:
Go to Control Panel \ Personalize (or right-click on the desktop and select Personalize), and then choose the link for “Change Desktop Icons” on the left-hand side.
Now you can chose the icons you want back on the desktop by checking the box next to the name.
Click the Apply button, and you should see the icon show up on the desktop immediately.

#23 ·

So, I tried one of the discs: "Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit SP1". It worked. I no longer have a problem with my icons or desktop background. HOWEVER, now there's something wrong with my internet connection. I was on a wireless internet connection. Now, it's just not working, so I'm on my brother's computer typing this..His computer is a desktop that isn't a wireless connection, so his is fine, but on my laptop it's not working.

#24 ·

Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, do you see any yellow marks next to your wireless adapter? If so, you will need to download the driver from your computer manufacturers support/download drivers web site.

#25 ·

Did you install all the required drivers? You said you had 2 DVD's? Is one of them a drivers CD for your motherboard?
Can you connect directly via cable to the internet to download any necessary updates.
[Edit] Sorry, just noticed spunk.funk's message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.