Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Autorun.exe won't run, therefore can't install game

63K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  shawnpb 
#1 ·
I am trying to install SimCity 4 on Windows 7. I get an error message when I try to run autorun.exe. The instructions say;

Insert the SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition disc into your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive. The autorun menu appears.
I click on "Run RunGame.exe", the box disappears, and othing happens. The alternative method says:

If the Autorun menu does not automatically appear, left-click the Start button from the Windows Taskbar and select Run... . Type C:\Autorun.exe in the Run dialog box, then click OK.
This time, an error message comes up saying:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Autorun.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
I just uninstalled the game (which worked fine), but this keeps happening when I try to re-install it. :banghead:
What do I need to do to make "Autorun.exe" run?

#3 ·
Re: Autorun.exe won't run, therefore can't install game

I found the drive letter to be D:, but it still won't work.

When I insert the disk, the AutoPlay screen comes up. I click the button that says "Run RunGame.exe", the AutoPlay screen disappears, and nothing else happens.

When I try the run dialog box, entering "D:\Autorun.exe" gives me the error message. "D:\RunGame.exe" however, causes the Run box to disappear, just like the AutoPlay screen.

So, I think I actually need to run D:\RunGame.exe (not Autorun), but something is preventing it from running. What is preventing it and how can I fix it?

#4 ·

Find the drive. Right-click and explore. Find the appropriate .exe file, should be something like setup.exe but the name will vary between games. Launch that.

If it doesn't work, launch as admin. Make sure that you're not just missing the prompt boxes, they might not jump up on your screen and may just be in the windows bar.

Since it is a fairly old game, you can also try launching in Windows XP as there may be compatibility issues. This is fairly easy to do but I've completely forgotten (being on a Mac), perhaps someone here could help you. I think you have to right-click, properties, and find it on there somewhere.

#5 ·

I tried compatibility mode for:
- Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
- Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
- Windows 2000
- Windows 98 / Windows ME

This time, when I click Run RunGame.exe on the AutoPlay screen, the box that says "Would you like to allow this program to make changes to your computer?" opens. When I click Yes, the screen disappears and nothing else happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.