Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Analog Video Converter Problem - Driver 275.33

7K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Fred Garvin 
#1 ·
For two years I've been using an Analog Video Converter, which sends an image of my computer screen, over to my television. The name of the converter is "VGA to RCA/S-Video/VGA Converter" - ordered from here:
Click Here to see the Converter item & its Specifications

Here's what it looks like:

Electronic device Technology Cable Electronics accessory Electronic component

My problem is that it just stopped working. The issue began right after my computer used Windows Update and installed a newer version of NVIDIA Drivers for the Graphics card. This is the title of the Windows Update in question:
"nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250"

So now, my computer shows these updated files:
* NVIDIA Update 1.3.5
* NVIDIA Graphics Driver 275.33

You see, even though my 19 inch "Hanns.G HW191" PC monitor is capable of running at a resolution of 1440 x 900 - that's not what I use. The analog video converter can only work with a resolution of 1024 x 768 or lower. So, for last two years, I've kept my computer resolution at exactly 1024 x 768 @ 66 Hz Refresh Rate - and as long as I kept my computer at that particular resolution and that exact refresh rate, then everything looked great - and my tv displayed a crystal clear image of what was on the pc monitor at the same time. (ie. the pc & tv image were synced with each other)

Well, ever since my computer started using the newer updated GPU Drivers, the image on my tv is horribly scrambled. It looks as if the frequency of the refresh rate is just a little bit out of sync. So, I tried changing the refresh rate, with no success. The converter specs say it can have a refresh rate between 60 - 75 Hz. So, I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel and selected the option that lets me manually adjust the display resolution and also the refresh rate.

I highlighted the line:
1024 x 768 and I clicked "Customize".
Which opens a page called "Create Custom Resolution".
Here's a screen-cap of that:

Text Font Line Software Screenshot

The only setting I felt comfortable with changing, was the "refresh rate" setting. I tried every number between 60 - 75 Hz, and nothing worked. No matter what I tried, the image on my tv just remains scrambled. But I'm pretty sure the solution to fix this, is a matter of just finding the signals timing sweetspot. If you look at the above screen-cap, half way down on that "create custom resolution" page - there is a section called "Timing". It's currently set as "Automatic", and I just don't feel comfortable changing those settings because I don't understand all of it.

But I do think, the solution to the scrambled image problem, is just a matter of changing some of those numbers in the "Timing" section. But I need your help, to figure out which settings to change.

And before you ask, no, there is nothing wrong with my analog video converter - I know it's fine, not to mention that when I'm in Safe Mode, the image on my tv and pc are perfectly synced and look great. Like I said above, this whole "scrambled image" problem all started immediately after my pc automatically used Windows Update, to install a newer version for my graphics card driver.

Please help me fix this.

Here are my computer specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366

HDD: WD 750GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

HDD2: Hitachi 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA-6G

MONITOR: HANNS-G HW-191APB 19" BLK WIDE LCD

MOTHERBOARD: EVGA X58 3X SLI LE (141-BL-E757-TR)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express

PSU: 1000 Watts Power Supply (Xion SuperNova AXP-10000R14HE)

CASE: Thermaltake Spedo Full Tower Case

CASE FAN: Maximum Enemax 120MM Case Cooling Fans
*(500-1,200 RPM White Color with White LED Twister Bearing 8-14 dBA)
**Asetek LCLC 240 Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Analog Video Converter Problem - Driver 275.33

I'm not sure what that Timing field is. What are the values below Automatic?

I can't see why the drivers would affect the output from the box to your TV. I'd recheck the connections and the settings under Display for the secondary monitor - your TV. Set the resolution to 800x600 as a test.

#3 ·

I'm not sure what that Timing field is. What are the values below Automatic?

I can't see why the drivers would affect the output from the box to your TV. I'd recheck the connections and the settings under Display for the secondary monitor - your TV. Set the resolution to 800x600 as a test.
The timing field does very specific fine tuning of the different display settings. When I click on the box called "Standard", it opens up a drop-down list of 6 options:
* Automatic
* GTF
* DMT
* CVT
* CVT reduced blank
* Manual

Here's a screencap of the drop down list:

The only reason I claim that the drivers are affecting the output, is because my problems began literally minutes after my computer did the Windows Update of the "GTS 250 Driver" file.

I checked, all the connections are fine. It's setup like this:
* Cable going from VGA port on back of pc, plugged into the Converter box

* Then, an S-Video cable runs from converter box over to my television

And, just so you know, my computer only shows one Monitor under the Display settings in the control panel. I mean yes, technically my tv is a secondary monitor, but my pc has just never recognized that particular fact. From day one, my pc has always had just a single monitor listed in the Display section.

I tried 800x600 resolution - but no joy.

I'm not positive that the solution to my scrambled image problem, relies upon changing some numbers in the "Timing" section - but it's my best guess. I'm attaching another screencap, that shows what the timing section looks like when it's set as "Manual". It gives a person the ability to fine tune many different settings and numbers, such as the Pixel Clock, or the Refresh Rate (out to 3 decimal places .000)

I'm just completely lost and don't know what to do next.

Attachments

#4 ·

I don't think it's a timing setting, I would leave it to automatic. Here's some info on the Timings. If you think it happened after a driver update, go into Device Manager and right click on the ATI driver, select Properties then Roll Back Driver.

I'm assuming on the back of your video card you only have 2 output ports for monitors and not another composite/RCA connector? I would also try the box on another computer.

#6 ·

The very first thing I tried, was to roll back the driver - and it didn't work.

And, before you suggest that I do a System Restore to an earlier point in time - it is not an option. It's a long story of why I can't do a System Restore, but just take my word for it - System Restore is not an option.

#7 ·

Your choices are then to either same all of your things form your computer and do a clean install of windows...

You could try a new converter box.

You could try your converter on another computer (i e... A friends computer)

Try that and let me know whats the outcome

#8 ·

Your choices are then to either same all of your things form your computer and do a clean install of windows...

You could try a new converter box.

You could try your converter on another computer (i e... A friends computer)

Try that and let me know whats the outcome
I already tried a spare converter box, I still have the same problems.

I don't have another computer to use and my buddy doesn't have the spare time to help. So, I can't use his computer.

And as far as reinstalling windows, I will never do that again. 8 months ago I was having a pc problem, and the number one tech guy on a forum highly recommended that I just reinstall windows OS, he said it would be easy. Well, it turned out to be the biggest cluster #%*# I have ever experienced. I will never do a windows reinstall again.

Come on fellas, I know if we do lots of trial & error, then I'm sure we can figure this out. I'm not willing to give up, I'm sticking with this until it's fixed. :)

#9 ·

1.Aero, if you tried another converter box and have the same results, we can assume it's on the computer side, hopefully not the TV side. I would make an attempt to try your box on another PC. I'm still not exactly sure what "scrambled" looks like on your TV. Your PC should be running at 1024*768 with 60hz as the refresh rate.

2. No, reinstalling Windows shouldn't be a necessary option. I have a pet peeve when people suggest this, since it's a nothing more than a guess remedy when they don't know what the root cause of the problem is.

3.Have you tried a different RCA cable going from the box to the TV, or even tried connecting to a different TV?

4. You shouldn't have to change any of those timing settings for a TV. I would boot into VGA Safe Mode, change your display driver to VGA, then completely uninstall your graphics card drivers and software. Download the latest version and reinstall.

#10 ·

1.Aero, if you tried another converter box and have the same results, we can assume it's on the computer side, hopefully not the TV side. I would make an attempt to try your box on another PC. I'm still not exactly sure what "scrambled" looks like on your TV. Your PC should be running at 1024*768 with 60hz as the refresh rate.

2. No, reinstalling Windows shouldn't be a necessary option. I have a pet peeve when people suggest this, since it's a nothing more than a guess remedy when they don't know what the root cause of the problem is.

3.Have you tried a different RCA cable going from the box to the TV, or even tried connecting to a different TV?

4. You shouldn't have to change any of those timing settings for a TV. I would boot into VGA Safe Mode, change your display driver to VGA, then completely uninstall your graphics card drivers and software. Download the latest version and reinstall.
I did try my spare converter box, it still shows the same scrambled image. So, I did try my converter box on my friends pc, and it worked just fine. Then, I tried using a different S-Video cable (which sends the image from the box over to my tv) - the new S-Video cable didn't help either.

Like I said earlier, the converter box works fine in Safe Mode, so that proves that the converter isn't broken, and there's nothing wrong with my VGA cable or the S-Video cable. The problem definitely lies within my pc - wether it's a corrupted gpu driver, refresh rate timing settings, or something in my registry - I don't know which thing is the problem.

I'm glad you share my view against reinstalling windows OS - it seems like tech people are always trigger happy when it comes to suggesting that a person reinstall their OS, instead of just taking the time to figure out the soulution to a problem.

That's why I like your idea of booting into VGA Safe Mode and doing all that stuff. But I do have a question, before I start:
When I uninstall the graphics card drivers and software, will my monitor just go blank. And I understand how to uninstall the drivers, but what do you mean when you say uninstall the software. What software are you referring too and where do I find it. Then once everything is uninstalled, where do I go to find and download the new drivers and software. The more specific you can be, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

#13 ·

Where do I go, to find the "software" you want me to install. I know where the drivers are, so that's no problem.

I just don't understand what you mean, when you said I should uninstall the "software", then reinstall updated software.

#14 ·

The software I was referring to is the nvidia Control Panel software.

I would uninstall all the nvidia software that's listed in your screenshot under Remove Programs. You should be able to download anything you need to reinstall from nvidia's site here. But start with just the drivers to see if you can get the TV working first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.