[SOLVED] 2nd HDD

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] 2nd HDD within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have had some trouble with my computer a year after building it. I received a BSOD indicating PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have had some trouble with my computer a year after building it. I received a BSOD indicating PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and relates to NTFS.sys. I cannot get passed it. After trying repairs and safe boots, it always sends me back to the blue screen. Its a SATA HDD, 1 TB. I removed and stuck in an old IDE, formatted it to Windows 7, just to see if I could take a look at the original drive as a slave. As soon as I plug the SATA drive in, I can scan for hardware changes and boom, back to the BSOD from above.

After looking up the errors, particularly in regard to my mobo, I think its a junky main board. Even if I have to replace the motherboard is their a way to save the HDD?

Specs:
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
AMD Phenom II 965 Black
2x8 Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Radeon 5770
Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I have run Memtest over and over, switching sticks and slots. And then eventually buying the RAM I have now and doing the whole process over. No memory problems that I can see. The BIOS was updated to the most recent stable version according to ASUS, and every piece of hardware I could find a driver for was also updated. I'm simply out of answers.

I'm writing this through the old 120GB, newly reformatted HDD with no windows or software updates just to so I can use the internet to contact you guys.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

run

chkdsk /f

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 7 & Vista - Tech Support Forum

Old 03-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Your SATA drive probably has some bad sectors in the Paging File area. As dai suggested, go to Start/Search and type CMD Right click the CMD Icon in the Search results and Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt type chkdsk C: /F or better yet, chkdsk C: /R and press enter. This will probably mark the bad sectors.
You can also download the ISO image for either Seatools, or Drive Fitness in my signature. And burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. And boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and the Advanced tests on the SATA drive.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hadn't even considered the HDD seatools. Great idea.

I cannot get past the BSOD to load windows at all on the 1TB drive. Is there a way to run chkdsk without loading the OS in Windows 7?

I will see if I can't burn the iso with my wife's laptop and run that.

Will report back.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

With your Windows 7 DVD boot with it (DVD-rom with in the boot sequence)

Load from DVD press any Key
press any key to load from dvd

Files will be loaded when that is done

Select your language then select "Repair your Computer"

Windows will attempt to find an installation of Windows when done select other options or next go to command prompt and type in

CHKDSK X: /R
X represents the drive in question normally it is C:

This will take some time be patient let the check disk complete.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
download the ISO image for either Seatools, or Drive Fitness in my signature. And burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. And boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and the Advanced tests on the SATA drive.
Try Jacks Suggestion or make a boot disc from the Seatools ISO and boot from that to test the drive.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok after selecting Repair Your Computer, there is no installation found. I'm guessing I'm in deeper, uh shall we say stinky stuff, than I thought.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check sata is set to be seen as ide in the bios
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
check sata is set to be seen as ide in the bios
Ok I downloaded, burned, and ran both SeaTools and Drive Fitness. I have run the quick and advanced (long) tests with both over the last 2 days. No errors come back. I tried using the Win7 disk, and now after it says "Windows is loading files," I get the same error as up above. Tried several times, same result.

Using Drive Fitness, if I delete the boot sector, will that reset the page file as well?

I cannot get to an elevated prompt to run chkdsk or even fdisk. I now cannot get the Windows 7 disk to repair as it will either not recognize the HDD at all or I get is the BSOD. I have double checked the boot order as well as ensuring the SATA drive is in IDE mode.

Is there no way to check the page file in particular without loading the OS? Delete it or restore it?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

after windows loads the files into ram it reboots and hands over to the hard drive

when it stops there it is usually because it is not seeing the drive

try another data cable on it
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Just wanted to update everyone. After trying all the suggestions here, I ended up replacing the motherboard with a new Asus M5A99X EVO. The harddrive was unreadable but I was able to use an old Windows XP disk to format it. Reloaded Win 7 and have been coasting along since.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

glad you have it sorted
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You're welcome! Please mark this thread solved in the thread tools at the top.

Closed Thread