Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

SolutionCenter.msi Problem

This is a discussion on SolutionCenter.msi Problem within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I keep getting this notification when I sign on to my computer. It tells me to insert a CD-Rom to

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

I keep getting this notification when I sign on to my computer. It tells me to insert a CD-Rom to correct it. Not sure what to do. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

I get the same message and am trying to find out why! Any help gratefully appreciated!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

whats the exact message you are getting and what cd is it asking for?
it could be some kind of virus
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Check in the Event Viewer - note the exact time you were asked for the disc

eventvwr.msc

jcgriff2
Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrogan4296 View Post
I keep getting this notification when I sign on to my computer. It tells me to insert a CD-Rom to correct it. Not sure what to do. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

I'm getting it too...it just started since I've been working with you guys to fix another problem. I've got it on my desktop right now It says "The feature you are trying to use is on a cd-rom or other removable disk that is not available.

Insert the 'SolutionCenter' disk and click ok.

then in the use source box it has the number 1
Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

That's the exact message I get. Is there a solution so this thing will stop popping up? Thanks

"The feature you are trying to use is on a cd-rom or other removable disk that is not available.

Insert the 'SolutionCenter' disk and click ok.

then in the use source box it has the number 1.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

not sure what the time has to do with it...It happens as soon as I reboot...every time i reboot so there's many different times. I know it has to do with hp printer...the last time it happened at 4:03.18 and its error 1706
Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
Registered Member

Is this an HP problem. Wife is running Windows Vista on her laptop and not to long along I installed an HP all-in-one wireless unit for her to print/scan/copy.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Registered Member

Copy and paste this address into your browser, download and install the Windows install cleanup tool. Open it up after installation and look for anything labled solution center and remove it. Be very careful not to remove anything else, restart your computer and the issue should be resolved, at least it worked for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

I'm using Vista ultimate sp1. I was also getting this message, every time I started the computer or opened my printer control program. This solved my problem --

I just inserted my HP install disk, clicked continue. A box did come up saying it didn't register, but I went ahead and clicked o.k. and rebooted. When the computer was up again, all was o.k. I opened my HP Solution Center (printer control program) and no more errors.

Maybe this will help someone.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw30143 View Post
Copy and paste this address into your browser, download and install the Windows install cleanup tool. Open it up after installation and look for anything labled solution center and remove it. Be very careful not to remove anything else, restart your computer and the issue should be resolved, at least it worked for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
jsw has it bang on. I'm running WinXP and using the Windows installer cleanup program fixed my SolutionCenter.msi problem.

Once you've installed the Windows cleanup program, fire it up, scroll down to "SolutionCenter", and delete that file. Eliminates the SolutionCenter wanting to install everytime you start your scanner/copier software.

Thanks jsw!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie Bigster View Post
jsw has it bang on. I'm running WinXP and using the Windows installer cleanup program fixed my SolutionCenter.msi problem.

Once you've installed the Windows cleanup program, fire it up, scroll down to "SolutionCenter", and delete that file. Eliminates the SolutionCenter wanting to install everytime you start your scanner/copier software.

Thanks jsw!!!
Thanks again jsw!! I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1. In an effort to speed things up I got rid of some startup fluff and HP's software that did such important things as tell me when I turned off the printer, as if I was unaware that pressing the button on the printer had done exactly that, was among what was eliminated. But the installer was not happy. After the cleanup the pesky little devil is gone and I'm a much happier cranky old man.

Diggr
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrogan4296 View Post
I also had the same problem with solutioncenter msi, what I did to fix it was I uninstalled just the solution center and reinstalled the HP installation file I located on the HP website and problem was gone, it is an issue with HP working properly with Vista and Vista's strong security features conflicting with HP products, sometimes multiple uninstalls and installs might be needed but persistance will pay off.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #15
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Thank you all for your responses.

I recommend removal of ALL HP programs from new systems as most are not Vista compatible &/or useless. Printer/scanner software should be installed.

For those with Vista x64 - HP QuickPlay is absolutely not compatible with Vista x64 and will hang on boot every time. Go into Device manager, enable hidden devices via View tab, expand non plug-and-play branch. 2x click on GUID 22.... & disable it.

This 6 month-old thread is now closed.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Closed Thread