Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

shrunk laptop screen size with black bar on right side

This is a discussion on shrunk laptop screen size with black bar on right side within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I own a HP Pavillion DV5 laptop with a windows vista OS and about 2 months ago after opening

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hi,
I own a HP Pavillion DV5 laptop with a windows vista OS and about 2 months ago after opening the laptop up and awakeing it from sleep mode i noticed the screen size went from widescreen to square and was pushed to the left side of my screen with a 2 inch black bar on the right side of the screen. i began to think it was a resolution problem but shortly after playnig around with the controls i knew it wasnt. the strange thing is that it comes and goes. one week it will be normal full screen widescreen, the next week it does this thing with the black bar. I even tried to reset the computer to factory settings with the boot disk and there was no change. this problem is more ANNOYING than anything and i would like to have my scren back to normal size. any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. i dont want to call HP because they already tried to ream me for $100 before doing anything. and if its something simple id like to do it myself and keep my $100. lol

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF does it do this in the bios also,what happens if you hook up a external monitor,have you tried reinstalling the video driver

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

OS: Windows 7 SP1 (x64), XP Home (x32), Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora 14

My System

Send a message via MSN to DT Roberts Send a message via Skype™ to DT Roberts

Hello and welcome to TSF.

If it doesn't happen in the BIOS, the screen resolution is probably just off a bit or somehow set to 4:3 instead of 16:9. Try playing around with the resolution: Change screen resolution

Does the black bar still show up?
Closed Thread