Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SFC /Scannow found an error but was unable to fix them

12K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  NoelDP 
#1 ·
hi, i am kslim new to here
i'm having problem with the sfc /scannow because it found out an error but was unable to repair it
i am running OS window 7 home premium
recently i tried to illegally installed gpedit.msc on Windows 7 Home Premium about 1 month ago
but then i uninstalled and deleted it because it din't help me to solve my problem that google chrome can't update automatically
i've look up system restore to try it but the restore point only show 1 week ago so i'cant restore to 1 month ago
please help me i had ran several tools/application but it did not fix my problem

the tool i ran :

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
adwcleaner
tdsskiller
rkiller
rogue killer
HijackThis
junkware removal tool
minitoolbox
OTL
temp file cleaner
Malwarebytes Anti-Rookit
farban recovert scan (which took me 2 hour and 15 minutes to finish but still no virus or malware found )
cmd chkdsk /F and chkdsk /R
avast full system scan
avast boot-time scan

here is the log of sfcdetails.txt below

then i ran SFCFIX.exe (by niemiro) to fix my problem but same it dosen't fix it
here is the log of SFCFIX.exe below

please help me i'm out of option... thanks for any help

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
When are you running the System File Checker? Is it when you are logged into Windows or through the System Recovery Options available during boot? If it is the former, then you could try booting your system, pressing F8 a few times until a list of options appears (before the Windows loading logo), and selecting the System Recovery option. Within here, you should be able to find the Command Prompt and run sfc /scannow, which might yield different results.

If your system comes with a recover partition, you might be able to use that to restore to factory defaults (as a worst case scenario). If you go down this route, you will lose all your personal data/files/programs, so it is best to back them up elsewhere.

As a side question, since Windows 7 Home Premium does not come, by default, with the Local Group Policy Editor (and even regardless of this fact), may I ask why you thought that could help fix your Google Chrome update issue? Other than your mentioned Chrome issue and the fact that sfc is stating there is an error it cannot fix, is there any problems you are having with your system (e.g., is there anything not working)?

#5 ·
i'm run System File Checker with logged into window
ok i will try boot into System Recovery Options to perform sfc /scannow and check for the issue

Because When i update Google Chrome it show me an error which is :

"Update failed (error: 7) An error occurred while checking for updates: Google Chrome or Google Chrome Frame cannot be updated due to inconsistent Google Update Group Policy settings. Use the Group Policy Editor to set the update policy override for the Google Chrome Binaries application and try again; see http://goo.gl/uJ9gV for details."

so it makes me to uninstall and reinstall the newest version of google chrome to fix this problem but still same yet the problem didn't fix
For now, I didn't have any problem with my system, All things are working smoothly

#7 ·
ok i'm done now with the google chrome, it lastest version now

now i'm having problem with sfc /scannow because it say "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"

i tried to ran SFCFIX.exe (by niemiro) to fix my problem but same it dosen't fix it

#12 ·
To fix these corrupt files normally it is a matter of just replacing the files with a backed up version.

As these files are not not meant to be on this version of windows it makes it a bit more difficult.

Have you tried what joeten suggested above?

Do you know where this set up copied all these extra files too? Or if there was a log? We may have to go through manually to make sure these files where removed

#15 ·
Here's the problem list from your SFC scan..
2014-04-16 13:39:24, Info CSI 00000339 [SR] Repairing 4 components
2014-04-16 13:39:24, Info CSI 0000033a [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2014-04-16 13:39:24, Info CSI 0000033c [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:14{7}]"fde.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-fde, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2014-04-16 13:39:24, Info CSI 0000033e [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"gpedit.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Admin-Gpedit, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2014-04-16 13:39:24, Info CSI 00000340 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"fdeploy.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-fdeploy, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2014-04-16 13:39:24, Info CSI 00000342 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"gptext.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Gptext, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
I'll post a fix protocol in a few minutes.

#16 ·
I've uploaded a file - km8aa.zip - to my OneDrive at Noel's OneDrive
Please download and save it.

Right-click on the saved file and select Extract all...
Change the target to C:\ and click on Extract
Close all windows (it would be a good idea to print these instructions!)

Now reboot to the Repair Environment - as soon as the machine restarts, start tapping F8 - this should bring up the Advanced Boot Menu, at the top of which should be the option 'Repair my Computer'
Pick that
You'll have to log in with your username and password.

Pick the option to use a Command Prompt
At the prompt type
DIR C:\km8aa
hit the enter key - if you get a 'Not Found' error try
DIR D:\km8aa
or
DIR E:\km8aa

The drive letter in use when you find the folder will need to be substituted (for<drive>) into the following command...

XCOPY <drive>:\km8aa <drive>:\windows\winsxs /y /i /s /v /h

(e.g. XCOPY P:\wfire P:\windows\winsxs /y /i /s /v /h )

run the command (it should take almost no time) and when the prompt returns, type
EXIT
and hit the Enter key to exit Command Prompt - reboot to Normal Mode Windows.

Now run SFC /SCANNOW in an Elevated Command Prompt
then reboot and upload the new CBS.log file to your reply

#17 ·
OK i'm done....so when i boot into normal mode windows and run sfc /scannow
the result still the same say that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"
here is the log

I look through the Log it say still having problem with fde.dll
others seem had been fixed

Attachments

#19 ·
OK, so the fde problem still exists while the other files have been corrected.
I need to see the whole CBS.log file, as there is a lot of data not picked up in the SFCdetails file, and it may be a registry problem (or it may be my fault!)

Please copy the CBS.log file to your desktop, then compress it, and attach it to your reply.

#21 ·
I've uploaded a file - km8ab.zip - to my OneDrive at Noel's OneDrive
Please download and save it.

Right-click on the saved file and select Extract all...
Change the target to C:\ and click on Extract
Close all windows (it would be a good idea to print these instructions!)

Now reboot to the Repair Environment - as soon as the machine restarts, start tapping F8 - this should bring up the Advanced Boot Menu, at the top of which should be the option 'Repair my Computer'
Pick that
You'll have to log in with your username and password.

Pick the option to use a Command Prompt
At the prompt type
DIR C:\km8ab
hit the enter key - if you get a 'Not Found' error try
DIR D:\km8ab
or
DIR E:\km8ab

The drive letter in use when you find the folder will need to be substituted (for<drive>) into the following command...

XCOPY <drive>:\km8ab <drive>:\windows\winsxs /y /i /s /v /h

(e.g. XCOPY P:\wfire P:\windows\winsxs /y /i /s /v /h )

run the command (it should take almost no time) and when the prompt returns, type
EXIT
and hit the Enter key to exit Command Prompt - reboot to Normal Mode Windows.

Now run SFC /SCANNOW in an Elevated Command Prompt
then reboot and upload the new CBS.log file to your reply - I need the full file, please not just the SFCdetails extract.

#28 ·
No problem:)

Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder
COPY the file CBS.log to your desktop (do not use 'Send to' - it'll only create a shortcut)

close Windows explorer.
right-click on the CBS.log file on your desktop - select Send to > Compressed folder and accept the default.
This will create a new file on the desktop called CBS.zip

Start a reply here - then click on the 'Go Advanced' button.
Click on the paper-clip icon which will bring up the attachements window.

Click on the top Browse button, and in the selection window find the CBS.zip file on your Desktop, highlight it and hit the Enter key.
the path should appear in the Browse box - click on the Upload button.
Once the upload has completed, close the attachments window, and write any message in your response - when you Submit, the attachment should appear in your post.

#30 ·
... and here's why I ask for the full log :)
Code:
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Info                  CBS    Appl: Evaluating package applicability for package Microsoft-Windows-EmbeddedSDP-wrapper~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514, applicable state: Absent
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Info                  CBS    EvaluateApplicability, package: Microsoft-Windows-EmbeddedSDP-wrapper~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514, Package applicability: Absent.
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Info                  CBS    Appl: Partial install Status testing, package: Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514, partially installed (true/false), 0
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Info                  CBS    Failed to find package from aggreated XML string, package: Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~fr-FR~6.1.7601.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Info                  CBS    Failed to find package from deployment update [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Error                 CBS    Failed to check whether package is partially installed, package: Windows7SP1-KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Info                  CBS    Failed to evaluate external applicability for package update: 976933-0_neutral_PACKAGE [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2014-05-01 18:12:31, Error                 CBS    Failed to call external evaluate applicability on package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514, Update: 976933-0_neutral_PACKAGE [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
It's these errors which tell us in general what the problem is with your Windows Update..
You are failing for one reason or another in the installation of WIndows 7 SP1.
This is a fairly common general error - but finding and fixing the cause is not easy, and it will often require a repair install.

Let's see if something a little less drastic gives us enough data to be able to solve the problem.

Please download and save the CheckSUR tool from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
(you'll need to look in the details for Windows 7, downloading from the Microsoft Download Center)

Run it - The tool can take anywhere from 5 mins to a couple of hours to run (or 'Install') depending on how much it has to do, and may exit silently - it may appear to freeze for most of that time, but be patient.
The result is logged in the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log file - and an archive …\checksur.persist.log file

Then zip the CheckSUR.log and upload it to your reply.

#32 ·
Sorry, I've been out sick the last few days!

Normally it's only the CheckSUR log we need - but occasionally it helps to have some background data, if the tool has been run previously.

IN your case, the current log shows no problems, so we'll have to look to other means to identify problems properly.

I'm still catching up with my backlog - back later today with something more useful, I hope!

#34 ·
A look at the Event logs may be useful...

Open Event Viewer
click on the Windows logs entry in the left pane to expand it.
Now click on the Application entry - wait while it loads.
Click on 'File' in the menu bar and select Save...
Save the file as Appevt.evtx
Repeat for the System log
then zip both, and upload them.

Also, please run a new SFC /SCANNOW, and post the new CBS.log file and the latest CBSPersist file - this may contain new data from after we made the latest changes.

#36 ·
The CBS data is free of errors - apart from those generated during failed installation of Service Pack 1

The Event logs show a fair number of errors from incompatible software -
Please uninstall Steam, and the Passmark Performance Test software.

Please run the following commands, and post the resuls

SC QC WebTool
SC QUERYEX WebTool

This service is regularly crashing - but I don't know what it is.

Here are some instructions to make life easier :)
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the ECP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Window, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
3) To copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.

#37 ·
I uninstalled passmark performance test software only
steam can't uninstall because it is not install through installer , i copy the whole floder to my pc actually...

here is the result :

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>SC QC WebTool
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: WebTool
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : "C:\Windows\WebTool\WebTool.exe"
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : WebTool
DEPENDENCIES :
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

C:\Windows\system32>SC QUERYEX WebTool

SERVICE_NAME: WebTool
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1067 (0x42b)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
PID : 0
FLAGS :

#38 ·
That looks normal enough.
It seems that it's likely that the Webtools Service here is from IIS being installed - if that's the case, then either IIS may be corrupted, or there may be other systemic problems we're not seeing.

To be honest, I don't really know where to go from here - my preference would be a repair install of Windows, but it seems a little excessive for what should be a fairly simple fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.