Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Severe problems with wireless network

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Stephen Bowles 
#1 · (Edited)
Basically there are three computers in the house. One of them is a macbook pro and is connected via ethernet to the hub. There are no problems when it connects via wireless (anywhere in the house). Another computer is a PC running XP (unsure of the version). This PC has no problems connecting wirelessly. The third and final computer runs windows Vista (again unsure of the version) and has been having problems connecting to the router. I have literally tried everything I know. This PC has not been able to connect for about a month now. Using the previous wireless adapter it was able to visibly see the network but would rarely connect to it. When it did, the connection would drop shortly after and there would be no internet.

This problem is ridiculous and we have called many people to see if they can fix the problem. All of them have simply ended up in the expense of financial and time resources and I just don't know what to do now. I wouldn't say Im an expert in this area, hence this thread, but I have tried to configure and amend network settings on this PC in every way I can find to no avail.

We tried calling the ISP, the wireless adapter manufacturer, the PC retailer, and all of them have failed to resolve the problem. Surely it's not the ISP as the other two computers have internet without problems. It may be the location possibly, but again, I can access wireless in the same room as the problem-PC with my macbook without problems. We thought it was the wireless adapter, so we bought a netgear adapter to see if a stronger adapter would work. Still no internet access. We were thinking perhaps it is a software issue, but then why should one have to do a system reset after having spent around £500 on a new computer and software to then have some unknown fundamental problem to the access of the internet? Might I add that this PC had been working for perhaps 1 or 2 years previously, with intermittent but active wireless internet connection. Problems began to arise about a year ago when it would sometimes cut out. And it has been over the past month that wireless internet access has been impossible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Using the new adapter, can the computer actually see wireless networks in your area? Including your wireless network?

You probably know this, but just in case... You should be able to click on a little signal icon in the notification area of the task bar, which then shows wireless networks around you. Probably not explained brilliantly well...

If so, what actually happens when you try to connect?

#3 ·
Yes it picks up all of the networks in the vicinity. If I try to connect it just has a generic error message saying that it could not connect. It doesn't give a reason, and usually the error message instantly appears rather than it taking time to establish a connection.

#4 ·
Have you tried things such as:

Restarting your router,
Turning off other systems and attempting to connect with just the problem system,
Downloading and installing the latest drivers for your adapter,
Making absolute sure that the network pass entered is correct?

Also, try this:
> - Click on the start globe/button
> - Type cmd.exe (right click, run as administrator)
> - type ipconfig /release, tap enter
> - then type ipconfig /renew, tap enter
Give it some time, and then try connecting to the wireless network again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.