Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Several icons and such missing in Windows 7

This is a discussion on Several icons and such missing in Windows 7 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Well, I've got a rather extreme problem on my hands. I know missing icons isn't much, but it's a big

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Well, I've got a rather extreme problem on my hands. I know missing icons isn't much, but it's a big deal when I can't even get on to my computer. What I mean by this is that every single time I boot up now, my user picture and the box to type my password just never show up. I know the computer hasn't frozen, because I can very easily move the mouse around the screen and everything else on the login has loaded fine. Some icons were also missing too, like I said. One strange missing one is the blue circle that shows something is loading. It appears beside my mouse, but it does not appear beside the words "Shutting down" on the log in screen like it usually would. I'm pretty scared for my computer, and I don't know what to do. I think I should also mention that I have tried to boot into safe mode; my computer has no such option. I can press f2 or f12 as it boots up, yet booting in safe mode isn't on either of the lists that are shown when I do press those keys. One very important is that I did edit the imageres.dll file to make the startup sound different... and I don't think I should have. I only rebooted successfully twice after editing that file, and then his happened. I should also mention that I do NOT have the Windows 7 installation disc. My computer came pre-installed with it. Thanks for any help (and sorry for the long post).

I just got a blue screen on my computer with the error after posting this, and when I booted into safe mode after being given that option I had the exact same problem! There's no login information.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi for safe mode you tap F8 on booting you could try system restore from there, or if you have a install or recovery disc you can try tapping F2 on booting and enter the bios and change the boot order to the cd\dvd drive as first boot device, put the disc in the drive then use F10 to save and exit and boot from the disc then run a repair
Startup Repair - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

I had no idea I could do a system restore from the startup screen... I created a restore point not long ago. Thanks a lot! I'll let you know if it works.