Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPC server

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
okay, I need to know how to get my rpc server available. I am not good with computers so be easy with me. I see a lot of posts that sound like a foreign language to me. I don't know how this happened. I have 2 computers at work. One I updated to windows 10. Works fine. The other is the RPC server problem and it's Windows XP. Thanks ahead of time.

#2 ·
Do you have a Windows XP CD?
On the XP machine, go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press enter
Scroll down to Remote Procedure Call and Locater (RPC), double click each one, make sure the Startup type is Automatic, and Start the Service.
If you have an XP CD, put that in, and go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.

#7 ·
Hi, we need to know what version of XP you have, 32 bit or 64 bit, Home or Pro? Rpc locator should be in your services (at least on pro versions), however it's default start is manual and it has been deprecated in Vista and beyond, so probably nothing to worry about.

On the other hand RpcSs (Remote Procedure Call) is an essential service having many dependencies. I assume this is the one giving the 1053 error? This means:-

"The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

Open a cmd prompt and copy paste these cmd's (shown in red):-

echo > 0 & sc qc RpcSs >> 0 & sc queryex RpcSs>> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 Press enter, please post the notepad outcome here.

Next copy paste this:-

echo > 0 & reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs" /s >> 0 & reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcLocator" >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 Press enter, please post the notepad outcome here.

#11 ·
You can wipe the computer with a lot of different tools but the HDD will then be blank, you will need a Windows Disc, if you want to install Windows. You can get a Windows disc on Amazon or Ebay. It does not have to come with the computer.
If you don't need Windows there are many Free versions of Linux OS.

#12 ·
Hi, you may have to reinstall XP however I don't think it will be necessary. You need to be at the command prompt, not the run dialogue box. Go to start accessories and you will see command prompt. The cmds can be copied and pasted there (only in red to make them stand out for you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.