Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverting back to win7 from win10 after 30days

SOLVED 
2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Stancestans 
#1 ·
I need some assistance with this used to do this type of stuff years ago but the mind is not what it used to be :cry:

I upgraded my laptop (Toshiba L650) to win 10 using the free windows upgrade it upgrade fine no warning or anything about 6 weeks after the upgrade started having problem it wouldn't update an windows products couldn't use Edge so I called Microsoft and they did a few tests and came back with the conclusion that laptop was not compatible with 10 and I need to contact Toshiba for the new drivers, did this and was told they were working on it but that they had so many models that it could take 2 to 3 years if ever to get to my model, I gave them a mouthful know I was wasting my breath.
Sorry for the long story but I am still a little peeved about the whole thing
I have a windows 7 disk from my old PC can I use these to reinstall windows 7 on my LPtop? If yes what do I need to do? Do I need to uninstall windows 10 ? and what information will I need to save?
Help will be much appreciated

#3 ·
Thank you
I did speak to Toshiba about getting a new recovery disc and was told I could download this from TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator on the laptop but I would need either 6 dvd disks or a 16 gb flash drive. Is that what you are talking about?
From what the person indicated, it seems that this wouldenable me to take the LP back to original factory settings, so how would this differ from using my windows7 disk?

#4 ·
Let's see if your laptop has an OEM recovery partition. Open Disk Management, select your internal hard disk (usually Disk 0) then take a screenshot of the Disk Management window and attach it in your next reply. Use Snipping Tool (included in Windows) to take the screenshot as described in this tutorial.
Does your laptop have a sticker/label at the bottom with a product key for the Windows Seven it came with? Sometimes the label is inside the battery compartment, so remove the battery and look in there as well.
The Windows Seven from your old PC was meant (OEM licensed) for use with that PC and no other. The disk may even include checks that strictly enforce that limitation and ensure it's not used on a different PC, and even if you installed that copy of Windows on your laptop, it will be a non-genuine copy and it won't activate.
what information will I need to save?
Regardless of whether you will be reinstalling Windows Seven or not, it's best to keep a backup of your data, preferably on a separate hard disk or flash disk . Basically, you need to save your user folders which are inside C:\Users\<username> i.e Documents, Contacts, Pictures, Music etc. If there are multiple user accounts on your laptop, make sure to save their data as well. If you purchased software that you have installed on the laptop, make sure to retrieve their serials/product keys/registration codes etc from your email and have them handy for probable future reinstallation. If you use specialized software e.g accounting, statistical analysis software etc, that store data in other locations like in the root of drive C, make sure you save that data as well, or use their export/backup functions. Once you're sure to have saved everything important, you can go ahead and reinstall or restore Windows, whichever course of action will be taken herein after.

#8 ·
It seems like your partitions were altered at some point. The >100GB unallocated space, the empty >10GB partition, the position of the Windows RE and Windows partitions... Anyway, looks like there's no recovery partition, so I doubt the tutorial linked to by Masterchief will bear fruit. It's worth a try though, so give it a shot.

If that fails, you can use that product key to download a Windows Seven iso disc image from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and burn it to DVD or create a USB boot disk which you can use to install Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.