Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Restore Default Network Settings

This is a discussion on Restore Default Network Settings within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there a way to restore Vista back to it's factory network settings without restoring the entire laptop to it's

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Is there a way to restore Vista back to it's factory network settings without restoring the entire laptop to it's factory settings? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Is anyone able to respond to this enquiry please?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

What kind of network settings? Wireless or ethernet? And why do you want to do this Exactly?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, I suspect here you are referring to TCP/IP stack the protocol that controls the internet connection.
Click on Start button, all programs accessories and right click on "command prompt" select "run as administrator" At the prompt type:-

Code:
netsh int ip reset  and then press the Enter key.
Restart the computer.
The command will remove all user configured settings on TCP/IP stack. Returning it to original default state. Pertinent registry keys are rewritten those used by the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) stack. This achieves the same result as the removal and the reinstallation of the protocol. The registry keys affected are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

Amiga500, Jenae,

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

I basically tried setting my vista laptop on to a wireless network at home.

I was setting up, or certainly attempting to, the small home network on an XP computer as I wanted to use the printer that is connected to it, this was from my dell, vista laptop.
I bascially went through the motions of doing so via a usb stick. Inserted once to the XP laptop, once to the Wireless Modem, once in to my vista laptop and back to the XP computer. I didn't get it to work and have decided I don't really need it but just thought it would be good to have.

I feel that because of this certain things are not working as they did and want to re-set all changes to the vista laptop.
The XP computer is fine, I don't need to concern myself with changing that.

Please let me know if you have any dea what I am talking about as I don't, if this is possible and whether or not you feel it even needs re-setting if at all possible.

Thanks,
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, I suspect here you are referring to TCP/IP stack the protocol that controls the internet connection.
Click on Start button, all programs accessories and right click on "command prompt" select "run as administrator" At the prompt type:-
Jenae, Apologies. Re my response above. Is this what you are referring to, were your assumptions correct, should I follow as you instruct above?

Thanks again,
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, yes this command will reset your TCP/IP stack this is the protocol that controls your Winsock internet& network connection It will revert to default settings just like after a fresh install. Can do no harm.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, yes this command will reset your TCP/IP stack this is the protocol that controls your Winsock internet& network connection It will revert to default settings just like after a fresh install. Can do no harm.
Brilliant. Thanks very much.