Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

Repair Install of Windows 7

This is a discussion on Repair Install of Windows 7 within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an Acer Apsire 5733 laptop with an OEM version of Windows 7. One of the RAM modules fails

Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an Acer Apsire 5733 laptop with an OEM version of Windows 7. One of the RAM modules fails MemTest86 (errors reported) and I think this has resulted in corruption of some of the Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM) system files. When I run sfc /scannow it flags up errors but is unable to repair these errors. I want to avoid a factory reinstall - is there a way to do a repair installation of this OEM version Windows 7? I have a Windows 7 SP1 DVD (non-OEM) for another computer. Can I use that?
kencoburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Did you replace the RAM module? If not, remove all but one RAM Module and run Memtest on each module separately. If you get an Error (Red) that module is bad and needs to be replaced. After replacing the RAM module.
If SFC /scannow has errors it can't fix, then start a Command Prompt as Admin as previously done. At the Elevated Command Prompt type
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and press enter, then type
DISM /Online /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RestoreHealth and press enter

If that fails, Try running a Startup Repair. Start the computer from a cold start, not a reboot and press F8 continuously. In the Advance Boot Menu select Startup Repair.
If that doesn't work, you can use the Recovery Management. Restart the computer hold down the Alt key and press F10. This will set the computer back to Factory Defaults. https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/2631
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

There were 2 modules and I have removed the defective module (awaiting a replacement for the defective module). I have run sfc /scannnow a couple of times and done a startup repair but I still get a warning that some of the corrupted files cannot be repaired. I will have a go at your additional fixes tomorrow. Many thanks for responding.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
If SFC /scannow has errors it can't fix, then start a Command Prompt as Admin as previously done. At the Elevated Command Prompt type
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and press enter, then type
DISM /Online /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RestoreHealth and press enter
After running the commands in the quote above and letting it repair, then restarting, run SFC /scannow again from an Elevated Command Prompt.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

The first DISM command line gave an Error 87 message:
"The cleanup option is unknown"
The second DISM command line gave an Error 87 message:
"The restorehealth option is not recognized in the context"
Old 05-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you have Windows 7 install media (ie) USB or DVD, boot off of that, Choose your Language and then Repair Your Computer.