Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Red "x" over the internet access icon in taskbar

This is a discussion on Red "x" over the internet access icon in taskbar within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My internet works fine, but I can't figure out why the red "x" is over my internet access. (I've uploaded

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

My internet works fine, but I can't figure out why the red "x" is over my internet access. (I've uploaded a pic of the toolbar area) It doesn't show how many bars I have unless I click it. I use Windows 7 and this is a brand new laptop. Any ideas on how to get it to go away?

I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

Hi Millie0513,

I'm guessing your laptop has a Wireless and a Wired network card (who hasn't these days? :)) Anywho, it might be showing that one of your network cards is not connected to anything, thus giving a misleading image of the Network view.

Are you able to connect to a network if you click it?

Could you please do the following:
Go to Start > Search.
Type "cmd" without the quotes > Hit ENTER.
Type in "ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt" > Hit ENTER.

A logfile with your network cards/settings should've been saved to C:\ipconfig.txt. Attach this file to your next post.

Microsoft Certified Professional[/SIZE]
Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

I appreciate your reply! It displays all the possible network connections if I click it, yes. I tried to do the cmd stuff, and I was denied access? -- I hate that. It's MY computer.. who else would have access? :P

Any ideas?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

Hi again,

Just do the following:

Go to Start > Search > type "cmd".
Right-click "cmd.exe" > Choose "Run as administrator".

Then run the commands, an you should be fine.

Microsoft Certified Professional[/SIZE]
Closed Thread