Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Reboot and select proper boot device - vista

This is a discussion on Reboot and select proper boot device - vista within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Everyone, I appear to have a problem with my Packard Bell EasyNote MX36 notebook. It's two years old, with

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

I appear to have a problem with my Packard Bell EasyNote MX36 notebook.
It's two years old, with a Vista os.

A couple of days ago it froze and crashed, and when it started to reboot, it said: "ASID:A10509.001$", and then post screen, etc, but instead of loading Vista, it gave me the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device.. etc" line.
I could somehow manage to pull out my notebook from that state a couple of times since then, I restarted and restarted it, checked and corrected the boot sequence, because appereantly it got changed, and 'removeable device' was the first in order.
Or I managed to do a Recovery Boot with F11 somehow, and that could save it.
Also, there is an other error message I'm getting: the CMOS checksum error. (now I remember getting this message when the laptop wasn't more than a month old, so I can't really take this battery low thing seriously) And now, again there it was, but at least after I set the date and time, it began loading Vista, hurray.

But now, - nothing. None of these things work anymore, it doesn't matter that I check the boot sequence, because even if the first one is set to be the hard drive, the next thing is, it asks for the proper boot device...
(And I still get the checksum error too sometimes.)
And even if I get to do a Recovery boot, after flashing me the recovery screen it just switches off. Now that really pissed me off.

And I don't know what to do... is this some kind of a virus? I sure didn't do anything out of the ordinary when these things started happening.

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Old 04-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF have you tried a repair install http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html
or try to reset to factory settings which will mean the loss of any data this is normally done through a F key on boot ie F10 F11 on some computers your manual should have some info on it

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

It really might be wise to just replace that motherboard battery because it is only a couple of bucks at Wal Mart or someplace similar and that might help your issue. When you get to the bios menu, make sure your Boot Priority is set to the boot drive first....remember, the key word here is priority in the boot area....or Hard drive priority or something similar.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you both for your replies! :)
So sadly I didn't get any dvds with my laptop.. is this repair dvd something I can download? because if it is, then I tried that one too, downloaded the vista recovery disc, burned it, but I can't seem to be able to use it.
But one of the tutorials you linked me to say that I can't use the dvd from boot, so.. that might be a problem, too...
And oh, I really don't want to do a clean install, I have so many things on the laptop that I can't lose.

Do you know anything about that ASID:A10009.001 message? That's something that really bugs me.

I will go see what can I buy battery-wise around here. But I thought..that even if the cmos battery is dead, after setting the time I should be able to boot into windows anyways, no?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

you might try burning the vista recovery disk to a USB stick if you can boot into USB on your machine. if you already burned the cd you can run
Quote:
xcopy D:\*.* E: /s/e/f
to drop it; or if you have the ISO i recommend you use UNetbootin [ download from project page here] and it will let you burn ISO to USB (also a great tool if you want to try out using an ultimate boot cd and see if you can do other repairs).
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi if you can boot to the bios you can change the first boot device to dvd\cd then try booting from the disc try F2 on boot, then change the boot order, then choose the F10 key to save and exit,also Tumblweed36 made a good point which I should have caught regarding a new cmos battery

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input:)
I tried to use UNetbootin to burn the .iso to a usb, and that part of the process worked well too, but when I put it in my laptop, it only showed the UNetbootin screen, and started counting back to rebooting, and then started again and again from 10, so nothing happened again...
Unfortunately I don't know where to find a cmos battery around here, but today I'll start looking for it!

but if you happen to have any other ideas about solving this problem.. without having to take my laptop apart, I'd still love to hear it!