Random Freezing

This is a discussion on Random Freezing within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, sorry if this is the wrong section I'm new here and I'm hoping you can help me. Whenever I

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong section I'm new here and I'm hoping you can help me.

Whenever I try to play a game that flashes some logo screens up before the game starts the PC will freeze when the logo video appears, the same thing happens when I play any video on youtube or when an advert plays on any webpage... basically any type of video will cause my PC to freeze completely forcing me to force a restart by pressing the power button for a few secconds.

I am able to play videos that are stored on my computer with no issues at all.

I built the PC myself with the following components...

Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Formula
CPU - Intel Core i7 3820 s2001
PSU - 1200w Antec
RAM - 8G DDR3
Graphics - AMD Radeon 7970

I installed all the components myself and have checked that they are all connected and seated properly so I'm sure thats not the issue.

I am fairly sure is my graphics card driver but I have no idea how to fix it, the reason that I think the issue is caused by the drivers is because when I started in safe mode I was able to watch you tube with no problems, I then started the computer up normally and removed all of the video card drivers and again had no issue watching youtube. I then tried installing just the video drivers (not the added software or control suit that comes with the drivers) and once again youtube froze my PC.

I have tried using the latest drivers, the Beta drivers and even an older set of drivers but they all caused the pc to freeze.

I have already done a memtest and that came back clear.
I have already done a Disk Chack and that came back clear.
I have reinstalled windows, didnt help at all.

As I said earlier, I have no idea how to fix this so I'm at your mercy, any help you could give would be great and any more info that you might need just let me know and ill get it to you.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Have you installed this driver? ATI Catalyst
have you updated Adobe Flash, and Java?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have all of them installed and they are all up to date (checked again just now).
Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have been searching around the best I can but noone seems to have any idea's how to fix this, I have been told that it may just be a case of waiting till they release a new driver that will fix it.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Play your game in a lower resolution in the Game Options. If the Newest driver doesn't work try rolling back to a previous driver.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Paying the game in high resolution isn't the issue as youtube is also causing issues and as I stated in the post I have tried previous drivers, none of them worked.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Are you running any other apps while streaming Youtube or playing the game? How many processes are running and what anti virus program are you running including the version?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

I have 93 processes running (all are straight after windows starts), 82 if you remove the Google Chrome browser (I dont know why but Google Chrome always creates multiple processes and it always has even on my old PC).

8 of these processes are Local
4 of these processes are Network
45 of these processes are Mine
36 of these processes are System

I'm running AVG Free version 2012.0.1913, Ill try turning AVG off and see if that help, ill post back in a moment.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

For every tab that is open, Chrome adds a new process sometimes 2. 93 isn't unheard of. You can run Process Explorer to see what is using the most CPU and you can suspend the process or kill it.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Registered Member

Right, removed AVG and it still froze so that didnt help.

I have also closed all of the processes that are possible to close and tried again but it still froze.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Registered Member

not sure if it was just a one off or if its related but the computer just black screened and froze whilst shutting down a game.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Registered Member

Funny I was just going to ask what processes were running. I'd type "msconfig" in Start Menu and click on startup tab and also turn off junk you don't need to run at startup.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #13
Registered Member

I have tried that but there is very little that I didn't need, this is a fresh windows install so its mainly software for the hardware that starts up.

I have just phoned AMD to ask if they know anything and they have told me that there is a new driver coming out soon (which I already appear to have somehow) that should fix a lot of issues but they are looking into this for me and should get back to me asap so I'll let you know what they recommend, hopefully it will get solved quickly.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

Right... so far all they have told me to do is to try an older driver which I have already told them didnt work.

but I have learned from them that the drivers they released for their 7 series graphics cards were just imported from the series 6 drivers and they are stil working for some drivers for the 7 series.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

Right, I think I have fixed the issue myself, I performed a BIOS flash and update and so far the problem seems to have gone.

Fingers crossed, I shall report back if I am wrong.

Thanks for all your help.