Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Programs won't open

This is a discussion on Programs won't open within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I installed some programs on my laptop which has vista. They install successfully but when I try to open the

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I installed some programs on my laptop which has vista. They install successfully but when I try to open the programs they start to open up but then dissappear, then nothing. Whats the deal?? Am I suppose to configure something?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

The programs that you have installed may not be compatible in Vista. What programs are these? You may want to check their website to see if they're compatible. If they're older versions this is more likely.

Also, when you say they 'disappear', do you mean they uninstall or just close it when you open it?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGilmore View Post
The programs that you have installed may not be compatible in Vista. What programs are these? You may want to check their website to see if they're compatible. If they're older versions this is more likely.

Also, when you say they 'disappear', do you mean they uninstall or just close it when you open it?
They just close when I open them. Some burning software and car software.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Have you tried installing other applications? If so, do these work?

I'm 95% sure that this is a compatibility issue. Did you upgrade from XP to Vista or did your laptop come with Vista pre-installed?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGilmore View Post
Have you tried installing other applications? If so, do these work?

I'm 95% sure that this is a compatibility issue. Did you upgrade from XP to Vista or did your laptop come with Vista pre-installed?
I've installed other apps and they work fine. I purchased a laptop with vista premium installed.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ye it's defiantly a compatibility issue then and there's nothing that you can really do about it unless you want to revert back to XP. Check the the App's owners website to see if it will work. As I have said before, if it's an older version it's more likely not to work.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
GIGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie559 View Post
They just close when I open them. Some burning software and car software.

What car software are you having problems with? I have found that TTS Datamaster OBD-I GM software is not Vista compatible. Vendor says it won't be fixed soon if ever. I didn't expect that when I went Vista. See thread here in Vista area or in Automotive area.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Mentor Hardware Team

OS: WinXP Pro SP2; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista Ultimate; Vista Business

Typically though, if software is not compatible with Vista, a message will come up telling you there is a compatibility problem.

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaGal View Post
Typically though, if software is not compatible with Vista, a message will come up telling you there is a compatibility problem.
That is what I was thinking to. No message pops up though. It acts like its going load and doesn't.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

right click on the program, then properties, then compatibility tab. Put a check in the box "run this program in compatibility mode for" then select the operating system, click apply.

Most likely won't work but give it a shot, usually when programs won't run in vista you have to check the vendors website but that usually does no good

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 AM   #11
Registered Member

I have got a similar problem, except it's with Itunes/Quicktime. They were working perfectly a week ago, but now whenever I try to open them, the message comes up saying the program has stopped working and that windows will notify me when a solution becomes available.

I've got anti-virus fully up to date and everything and I've tried reinstalling and even system restore, but to no avail.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #12
Registered Member

I have had similiar problems with progs that arent yet fully tested and compatible with vista. It will never prompt you at install but instead crash the prog once you try to open it. It's nothing more than that. Just wait for the next version of the prog with vista compatibility.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

Really? Even if it has been working on Vista previously?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

yea, depends on the prog though. Take Vmware for example, it installs beautifully then crashes upon first open of any vmconfig file. I had foxit running for awhile and then it would freezes on every open.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

yeah I guess we're just all outta luck.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
Registered Member

just wait a few months until some of the vendors update their software. Some vendors will not fix it, as stated above. If thats the case, get a version of VPC and run an XP box for all your XP software needs. If u have enough memory in the thing, it will run smooth.