Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Printer Software Problem After Re-Install

2K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
I am using Windows 7 Pro with a HP Deskjet 3520 All-In-One Printer/Scanner.

I got a message that there was a driver problem and to do a re-install.

I uninstalled and then re-installed from the installation CD. I am able to print and to scan without problems, but there is a change in behaviour with the software.

1) When I select the Scan option, I get a windows pop-up titled "Open File - Security Warning" advising that the publisher is unknown. I have to click on "open" button to activate the program.

2) There is a link on my desktop to the printer software (e.g. where I can see the ink levels). When I click on this, absolutely nothing happens. I also tried by going directly to the program from the start menu, with the same result.

T

#5 ·
Ran the scans and nothing found.

Taking this one step at a time and starting with the link on the start menu for HP Scan.

When I select from the start menu, I get the pop-up (attached).

However, when I go directly to the .exe file and run it, the program loads with no pop-up.

Any idea what causes this pop-up?

T

Attachments

#6 ·
This issue below (pop-up when running HP Scan) is still live and unresolved.

The second issue is now resolved, as I found a solution on HP Forums and ran a file association cleaner as recommended and this fixed the problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/HP-deskjet-3520-series-Software-won-t-start/td-p/3719054/page/2

#9 ·
UPDATE

Downloaded HP Print & Scan Doctor and ran it. It says that there is a driver conflict and to uninstall and reinstall. I did that and now I'm back to square 1.

I can print OK and I can run Scan OK.

However, when I try to open the printer program (where, for instance, I can see the ink levels) nothing happens.

When I go to Program files and look at the .exe, I can see that it is corrupt (see attached - it should have a printer icon)

I've tried downloading the basic drivers from HP and it makes no change.

Tommy

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks joeten.

Unfortunately, I've tried that without success. I can see that the exe is corrupt, but have no idea how that happens (all the time). I installed from OEM install disk.

I've a query in HP forums, but they are slow to respond, so I'll leave this open until I get an answer.

Tommy

#13 ·
Thanks joeten.

I've just noticed another (potential) problem and am hoping this might be contributing.

I went into msconfig (advised by HP to make some changes, which I have not made, since I noticed this possible anomaly)

I enclose a view of the general settings.

Surely, "Normal Startup" should be selected here.

Tommy

Attachments

#15 ·
Hi, no it does not need to be normal startup, if you alter any of the default startup settings (normally you will alter to your preferred settings) then you have selective startup, this is normal and nothing to worry about. Does your printer do all that you want, ie:- does it perform it's function or is there a problem with it doing this?

#16 ·
Thanks Jenae

I'm almost certain that my msconfig setting was the default setting. I had a Microsoft engineer do some remote analysis last week and I'm sure I saw her change to selective startup when she was analysing.

The printer performs fine, but I am unable to open the printer software and therefore cannot see, for instance the ink levels or, for example align the print heads.

T

#17 ·
Hi, no for clarification whenever you change the system configuration (msconfig) startup it reverts to "selective startup" this makes sense since you have selected, startup changes, this is normal and nothing to worry about.

If your computer prints and works fine with the printer I would live with the problem I have it on many of my systems and it has never been a problem...( ink levels are a joke they have never been accurate and aligning the print heads is easily done by removing the print cartridges, although you normally only need to do this once.. if at all) short of re writing the software I see no practical reason to worry about it.

#18 ·
Thanks jenae.

Your point is well made and it actually looks like that will be my end solution.

However, I would strongly be of the feeling that by accepting second-rate software, we only encourage the OEMs to be sloppy. The loser is ultimately the consumer.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.