Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Point .NET Framework HKLM registry key to location

This is a discussion on Point .NET Framework HKLM registry key to location within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was :shy: wondering if someone out there could tell me the steps to setting the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was :shy: wondering if someone out there could tell me the steps to setting the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to the .NET Framework install location.

I have been having some issues with a Windows Auto-Update (a few weeks ago) un-successfully loading. I finally had to hide the update all together because if inevitably prevented me from even booting the computer all together. I finally broke down and contacted Microsoft Corporation's Support Desk prepared to pay for the support to get me back in. After talking to the desk, they offered the assistance free for the "Update preventing a clean boot", so I got back in. I didn't quite pay much attention to what the rep did to correct the problem; but I was happy and thought the problem was over.

Yes, you guesed it, I still continued to have downloading issues with new program application setups...as with the Update downloads. I thought there might be issues with Windows Installer...which I did have a month or so ago. After installing Windows Recommended Updates--that issue too, was cleared.

Now I am trying to install the trial MS Office Pro 2010 Suite. It's giving me a dickens of a time to install. I tried a forum and by the time I ran through a few suggested solutions, I finally ended up with a suggestion about--you guessed it--.NET Framework. A suggestion was that I should go back and find a way to install that darn update that I hid, which actually was sort of a HotFix for the whole issue from the beginning. The fact that I did not install the update left my system to suffer the very issues I've been having since the pervervial "hiding of the .Net Framework Update".

The update was available in the forum through a link to a standalone download for the update (without coming through Windows Updates). I tried to do as suggested by going into Sys Config and turning off all my startup and non-system programs and doing a clean boot. Then the next step was to try to install the stand-alone for .NetFramework that I had downloaded from the forum link to my desktop.

[COLOR="Red"] Viola![/COLOR] BUBCUS! NADA! Not one thing...

I got the Message: "Please set registry key HKLM\Software\Microsft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to point to the .NET Framework install location

>>>I came up a SLA95E.tmp - .NET Framework Initialinzation Error

Sooooooo, I can't get the Office Pro to install; I can't get the stand-alone Update for .NET Framework to install, and I'm running out of options.

HELP!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi -

Check to see if any other Windows Updates are missing.

Run Belarc Advisor --> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Windows Updates --> www.update.microsoft.com

Uninstall/ remove via removal tool any anti-virus apps, especially if 3rd party firewall present.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Closed Thread