Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

please help new workstation is an expensive disaster!

This is a discussion on please help new workstation is an expensive disaster! within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi team. Just had a workstation made for me by a tech company i7 3630K quadro 4000 32 GB ram

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi team.
Just had a workstation made for me by a tech company
i7 3630K
quadro 4000
32 GB ram
x79 gigabyte MOBO
seasonic +80 platinum power supply
lanboy air case

The guys claim they had done research and built a top spec machine for my work needs (3ds max)

this machine is meant to be built specifically for 3ds max, for comparison I was running max on a macbook pro 2.7 ghtz quad core 8GB ram(bootcamp win 7). I am having this machine freeze up on me regularly (I have only had it for 2 days) and need to be hard restarted.

It is now giving me error messages when restarting and trying and failing to repair itself.

Also I cannot seem to get any good performance out of it for 3ds max. i get CUDA errors when trying to use iray and the graphics card does not seem to be getting used for rendering. ( I am using 3ds max performance driver)

on conparison with the laptop for scanline rendering 100 frames the difference is 645 seconds (workstation) vs 720 seconds (laptop) which does not seem to make much of a strong case for the expensive outlay.
Mental ray and quicksilver are painfully slow and as i said iray wont work I get CUDA errors.

Anytime I try to push the machine (in photoshop or 3ds max or whatever) it locks up and needs a hard restart. how much damage am I doing to it by doing this?
Thanks for any help,
i am feeling very stupid, angry and suicidal over this situation
thanks for any help
sub

Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

You could be causing errors on the hard drive (bad Sectors) by hard restarting.

Go into bios and look at the temps, and voltage readings. I see you also have 32GB of RAM why so much? 8GB should service.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Given you've only had it for two days, I'd take it back and tell them to do their homework again. Something is obviously not right for you to have to start trying to repair it yourself so soon.

I'd be discreet about what you've tried so far.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

Have them check all and reseat them. Check RAM models and reseat them also.

Throwing in a lot of RAM modules sometimes can be tedious 1 of them could have been seated wrong. I also recommend heat spreaders for the modules if there isn't any already.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi team,
Here is the error log for my i7 3630K 32 GB ram quadro 4000
https://sites.google.com/site/2flyne...s-more/support
the doc is called event and it is 74k
any advice or help greatly appreciated, machine is 2 days old and runs like a dog, constantly freezing up needing hard restart, can't seem to utilise the 4000 graphics card and runs 3ds max (what it was built by a professional company to do) painfully slow.
any help really appreciated .. total fail and expensive disaster so far
Cheers
sub
Old 03-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Please do not post more then one thread about the same problem. I have merged your 2 threads together.
As suggested, since you just got this machine, take it back and have them fix it. You shouldn't have to fix something on your own when you just bought it.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, as stated the only sensible advice we can give you is to take the machine back, you should not attempt any repairs yourself. The event log indicates multiple problems disk controller and most telling an OS interrupt install . As indicated have them do a through diagnostic, if we built this machine for you, we would, with no questions asked, your satisfaction should be their priority.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

[Solved] Ram for x79 gigabyte MOBO i73630K? - Memory - Motherboards-Memory
check out the pain!

Ok it was bad BIOS setting by the shop, at least that can't have been helping

I am stress testing it at the moment and fingers crossed I am making progress.
I understand what you were saying about taking it back to the shop, but is they had such limited understanding to screw it up like this, taking it back for more was probably not going to help... don't forget on the thursday (day after pick up)
they told me that there was no problem, the computer was not freezing and anyway it didn't matter if windows could not recognise all of the components with "rate my computer"

so hopefully all will be well, now I just have to get max running sweetly
cheers
sub
Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
- Microsoft Support

Bad quality insurance on their part. If they said it was running fine before you picked it up, took it home and did not change anything on your end they are telling a line of lies. Check to see if they did not install a dead CMOS battery.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Closed Thread