Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC won't start after sudden shutdown

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hey,

I want to apologize in advance for my english since it is not my native language.

I was surfing on Youtube yesterday and suddenly as if someone had unplugged my PC from the Power supply, it shutdown. Now if I try to turn it back on, nothing happens. No noise, no light, nothing. I had this problem like 2 years ago too. I took my old PSU out and tried the trick with the paper clip and the green pin and the fan didn't turn on, so I bought a new PSU and my PC worked again. This time I tried it again but my fan works this time so I don't know if it is my PSU again. I don't have a voltmeter or a spare PSU/Mainboard/etc... so it's hard to determine the cause.

I have
Windows 7 ultimate
Mainboard : as Rock z68 extreme3 gen3 (6 years old)
Graka:radeon HD 6870 (6 years old)
PSU:energon eps-750 w (2 years old)

Let me know if you need more Information.

Dolbio

See less See more
#2 ·
Shutdowns are typically hardware related. The most common causes are the power supply or the motherboard.

No real way of knowing which one (or possibly something else) without swapping parts.

As for the power supply, the Energon appears to be manufactured by Inter-Tech. And from what little information that I can find, it's a low quality unit. So it wouldn't surprise me if it has failed. Ideally you want a Tier One model, reference here: PSU tier list 2.0 - Components - Tom's Hardware

#3 ·
What I've done in the past is to unplug the power from the outlet, hit the power button on the computer (this will dissipate any remaining power from the PS), plug back in to the outlet and see if that works. Often if there's a power related shut down, the motherboard and power supply still basically stop communicating correctly and will fail to start. I learned this little trick after a series of frustrating issues with a computer where it wouldn't boot regardless of what I did, I would bring it back to my shop and it would start without issues. Bring it back to the client and things would work fine for a short time and the same thing would happen. Then it's repeat.

#4 ·
The trick with unplugging the PC and hitting the button doesn't seem to work for me unfortunately..

Yes, I figured my PSU is low quality. I got it very cheap from a computer shop. If I want to swap PSUs how much w do I need? My old one had 500w and I didn't swap my processor or mainboard or graka but I upgraded my RAM and I got an extra hard drive. So would 500w still be enough or do I need more?

#5 ·
Hi there,

It's highly a possibility that your issue is definitely power supply related. This time, I recommend getting a good brand one that uses very good quality parts. When it comes to good quality power supplies, get either a "Seasonic" or "XFX" brand power supply.

Hope everything works out well for you.

#6 ·
I believe a 500w unit is sufficient. For a basic system, the power needs are dictated by the video card and from what I can find, the minimum requirements for a 6870 are 500w. You can verify by checking the manufacturers webpage for your card. They should list the minimum requirements. The minimum size is fine if you are getting a quality (tier one as noted above) PSU.

#7 ·
Alright I bought a new PSU and plugged it in like my old PSU but it still won't boot..

Assuming the PSU is working, is there way to determine that the mainboard is 100% the problem? For example I tried to press the power button on the mainboard while the PSU is on but nothing happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.