Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Pc wont boot unless a remove one of the memory sticks

This is a discussion on Pc wont boot unless a remove one of the memory sticks within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good afternoon,i need some help trying to fix a weird issue going on my pc that started a few days

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Good afternoon,i need some help trying to fix a weird issue going on my pc that started a few days ago.

When i leave the pc for long periods of time on and then shut it down for more than 4 hours the next time i try to power it up it wont even show the bios it just turn the fans and hd but no image at all.

The you take one of the sticks out and it turns on just fine.I though it was one of the mb sockets so i moved the memorys to unused sockets and worked just fine till i turned off.
Here is the dxdiag info:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/18/2011, 19:02:15
Machine name: TEMPEST-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/20/10 17:32:24 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1237MB used, 6947MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode
Attached Files
File Type: txt Marin1.txt (33.1 KB, 6 views)

Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What Motherboard brand and Model?
Power Supply brand and Model
Video Card Brand and Model?

Check the ram using memtest+ D/L burn to a CD and boot from the CD run at least 6 passes.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Motherboard-asus m4a7bt-e
Power supply-Corsair tx750w
ati radion 5770xxx

I will test the memory now and post after have that done.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

m4a7bt-e> Is this a OEM system?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

My bad on the MB name heres the mb ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - ASUS M4A78T-E

I did a test using windows 7 memtest and says no errors, i will try the one you post it and see how it goes.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Are you moving the RAM while the machine is running? Very bad idea. RAM is NOT Plug and Play.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

I dont want to be rude but are you trolling me? only a retard could do that..... i turn off the pc and switch off the p/s b4 touching anything,the i remove the memoy and the pc boots up then i shut it off and put that memory back and it turns on just fine.

The problem only comes if i let the pc off for long periods of time.Did 2 passes of memtest and shows not errors at all, i will leave the test running overnight to see how it goes.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Marn, download Memtest, burn it to a cd and boot up to it. I would run tests on individual sticks of memory as well as both together. Mark the sticks 1 & 2 on their label and write down your tests so you can keep track of which stick was run in which slot. See if you can blow out the case with compressed air and make sure the ram slots are clean and free of dust. Take a look for any leaking capacitors on the board if you know what to look for.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Sorry if you are offended, but read this sentence that you wrote and tell me why I shouldn't have been concerned:

Quote:
I though it was one of the mb sockets so i moved the memorys to unused sockets and worked just fine till i turned off.
I'm glad you know better, but one can never be sure in a forum like this.

BTW, a question such as I posed would not be considered "trolling" by any definition of the term.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

Bad judgement on my part, what i wanted to tell by that was that the problem came back when i turned the pc off for a period of 4 hours also my english is bad sorry about that lol.

Fred i tested the memory booting memtest from my usb but since i was using the pc i only let the program run 1 pass.When i head to bed i will make sure to let memtest running over night to see the results.Also to point that i will remove a different memory stick if the problem comes again.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Understood. You're English isn't all that bad, just try not to take offense when someone needs clarification. Again, I'm sorry if you were offended.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

How about a screen shot of the spd and memory tabs of CPUz, I like to see what the ram is rated for and what speed it's actually running at.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

also run memtest with one stick installed in every slot. it could be the slot has gone bad.

what are the voltages and temperatures? get these from the BIOS.

Also Marn I see you got the wrong end of the stick but please be aware that the people on here who help others are doing so of their own free will, they are not paid to do so they are doing so because they want to help people out with their problems.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

I dont think the problem is with the slots since im taking out a different stick everytime the problem happens,i do want to point that 1 out of 3 memorys 1 is faster than the other 2 but is single and not on the same pair of slots since the MB divide the channels n color 2 orange and 2 black.

Also to point i move the pair from the first 2 slots to the last 2 slots of the mb leaving the platinum ocz stick that was single alone on the first slot.

I will try to explain from the first time this happen.

Lets say this 4 lines are the memory slots
| | | |
1 2 3 4

When the problem came to happen i took the stick on slot 2 out and the pc manage to boot up so i decided to clean the sticks in case they were dirty.
Everything went ok till i shut the pc off lets say at 10am since i work overnight.When i woke up at 5pm and tried to turn the pc on the problem persist so i decided to test again removing 1 of the memory in this case the platinum ocz instead of the gold one and the pc again boot up just fine.

This time instead of putting the sticks back to the same order, i decided to move the platinum stick from slot 3 to slot 1 and the 2 gold edition sticks to slot 3 and 4 leaving slot 2 empty cause i though it was the cause of the problem just to find out today that the problem still persist.

Sorry for the wall of text but i dont know any other way to explain it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	90465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	90466  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #15
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

running the two different types could be your problem. They could be different voltages and/or speed and a lot of motherboards dont like this so it will cause issues.

You should always run the same make and speed and not mix them. There will be a slight a difference in the gold and platinum but it could be enough to be causing your problem.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah it was a mistake i made myself but the wierd thing is this issue vener happen b4 and i have been using this set up since 2009 plus the one with diferent speed is on a single channel alone its not mixed with the other 2 and thats why is shows as unganged instead of single.

Ran memtest for 5 passes with no issues at all but the wierd thing is that on each pass it was becoming more slower.For example the first pass took 20 minutes while the third pass took almost 1 hour, by the time the third pass finish 2 hours 28 minutes passed dont know if this is normal.

The next thing im planning to do if i get the problem again is to boot the pc 1 stick at a time on all slots and see how it goes.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

issues dont have to appear straight away they could take a while to start.

with 2 different speeds installed the fastest ram will default to the lowest speed so you cant do dual channel so you have to run single.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Maybe I missed it but what happens if you cold boot with just the matched pair of ram installed?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
Registered Member

Hvent check since i havent turn off the pc since yesterday and the problem only appear when the pc is off for more than 2 hours, i ill chack that tonight and see how it goes but so far i remember the first time the issue happen i did removed the last stick to the right which was the fastest one but il check again just to be sure.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
Registered Member

New update!
i took the rams out in a diferent order just to find what i thing is the bad stick which sadly s one of the gold edition ocz,i put the other 2 sticks in diferent channeles slots and pc started just fine so i need to test again tonite to see how it goes.

The way i tested was removing the stcks in a diferent pattern t a point when 1 stick was remaining and yet the pc wont boot up so i removed that stick and put it appart from the rest and when i boot the pc with he other 2 memorys the pc started up just fine.