Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

PC gets stuck on boot screen

This is a discussion on PC gets stuck on boot screen within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am having some issues with my desktop PC which I'm hoping someone could help me out with. It

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I am having some issues with my desktop PC which I'm hoping someone could help me out with.

It seems to run just fine any other time, but when updates are needing to install and the PC automatically reboots after so long it gets stuck at the boot up screen (blue HP logo screen). So then I end up having to hold down the power button on the tower and shut it down. I wait 30 seconds, and then start it back up again and a lot of the times it will get stuck again and after getting stuck 2 times and holding down the power button and restarting it seems to get it passed the boot screen.

But I definitely want to fix it and get it straightened out and find out why it does this.

Any ideas?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

I just wanted to add as a side note, that I will be reformatting, I did happen to make when I bought this PC I made the backup discs in case I ever needed to do that. But wanted to find out if I should fix the start up issue before or wait til after?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to Rits

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering your computer startup : Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Clean boot is to start a computer with as minimum items as possible as possible. Typically when we start a computer, it loads many files and programs to customize your environment. Clean boot eliminates these optional features and loads only those files and programs that are absolutely required by the operating system. Clean boot is one of the troubleshooting techniques which allows you to get the computer to a state where you can perform diagnostic tests to narrow down to the elements of the normal boot process which are causing problems.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

I went through the steps you gave me but it didn't seem to bring on the issue. So my next question is could this only be happening when it is doing PC updates and some updates you have to restart. Which sometimes when I am not in the room it tends to automatically do a system restart.

I notice that seems to be when it happens is when it does updates. So frustrating!

Thanks for helping me!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yes updates might cause this dueto compitablity issues.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Change windows update settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" which will help you decide which update is important for you.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

If it is compatibilities issue with updates, how do I know which it is? I mean I figured updates are supposed to be for my machine type but guess I'm wrong about that.

But yeah if I reformat it, how do I make sure a update is good for my pc?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Registered Member

Is there a way to know which updates are needed or my PC? I mean like to make sure there isn't a compatibility issue.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hope you don't mind me doing this...

Bump....

Just hoping to get my previous question answered. Thanks!