Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC crashing, requiring hard reset.

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
This has been occurring for months now.
It is EXTREMELY annoying, especially if I am in the middle of something very important.

The mouse cursor will lock, everything will freeze and this will usually be followed by any sound repeating/buzzing/freezing.

From here it is a complete freeze. The only way to get out of this is to restart my computer.

Now, another surprising thing is that usually I need to push my reset button in all the way for my PC to reset (I suppose this is so you don't bump the button). When the crash occurs I only have to slightly touch the reset button for my PC to completely shut down. Strange.

Upon first glance I suspected this to be my power supply, however now I am not sure, it could really be any other component.

I am fairly confident that this is hardware related, but not 100% sure what is causing these crashes.

Nothing seems to "trigger" the crashes. It can happen whilst watching videos, playing games, browsing the web, or simply idling.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Please provide full specs of your PC including PSU make/model/wattage so we know what we're looking at. Could quite possibly be a PSU problem, but we need all your other hardware info too (CPU, Motherboard, RAM etc).

Is the PC pre-built or custom built?

#4 ·
For most of your components you could use Speccy to display them: Speccy - System Information - Free Download

For the Power Supply you'll have to take the side panel off and look on the Power Supply's label to determine the make/model/wattage.

#5 ·
Operating System:

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU:

Intel Core i5 @ 2.90GHz 45 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM:

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-25)

Motherboard:

MSI H61MU-E35 (MS-7680) (SOCKET 0) 32 °C

Graphics:

BenQ G2200W (1680x1050@59Hz)
VA2026w (1680x1050@59Hz)
512MB GeForce 9600 GT (ASUStek Computer Inc) 37 °C

Hard Drives:

244GB Seagate ST3250410AS ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
Optical Drives
DTSoftBusCd00
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device

Audio:

Realtek High Definition Audio

#8 ·
System needs at least a good quality psu at at least 650 watts and instead you have a seriously poor quality one way under what is necessary. You need to change this quickly as that poor a psu being over taxed can easily blow out and harm a lot more hardware in your system on its way down. It may not be the actual cause here though I believe it is, but it will leave you a far worse problem if you don't replace it quickly.

#14 ·
Well I picked up a new one today off of a friend (unused). Its slightly more expensive than my current PSU, although its the same amount of wattage.

This new one is unused and it a Tt Thermaltake PSU, so I trust this brand a little bit more.

I will try it out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.