Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Pavilion DV4 slow start and lights blinking

This is a discussion on Pavilion DV4 slow start and lights blinking within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Pavilion DV4-1225DX is 3 years old and running windows 7. It just started acting up by taking several minutes

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

My Pavilion DV4-1225DX is 3 years old and running windows 7. It just started acting up by taking several minutes to wake up and the lights are blinking at caps lock and scroll. It does finally come to life and everything works after the slow black screen episodes. I have tried the troubleshooting by shutting down, removing battery, unplugging ac adapter and holding power button down, but to no avail. Is there anything else I can try, or is it a trip to the Geek Squad? I love the laptop and don't want to lose all my info. It is out of warranty, but from what I read here, HP isn't doing anything to help a known problem on this model. Please advise.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF please try reinstalling the video driver,also try changing the power settings and see if that makes a difference

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

I tried both of those and no difference. Still takes a few minutes for screen to come alive after opening laptop cover. If I don't close cover, it comes back right away by touching any key. Lights are still flashing once every couple seconds. Forum search says one blink every few seconds means bad cpu.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

If that is the case you could look for another cpu

Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Could be a heating issue clearing the vents and the heatsink of dust and debris may help and applying fresh thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu may helpand chipset removing any old paste using TIM cleaner first and making sure surfaces are dry before applying fresh thermal paste.

With the case closed have you noticed the fan whirring up consistently and used a temp monitor to monitor temps from the cpu and main board such as open hardware monitor?

If you are not confident in doing the dust and thermal paste replacement then a local computer repair shop will do this for you.

Always unplug from the mains and switch off and remove battery before opening up your laptop.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi this is the only one I can find at present Blank Screen LED Error Codes HP Pavilion dv7-1125ea Entertainment Notebook PC - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English)

Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

I talked to a friend who is a computer repairman and he said he has seen way to many of the DV4's bite the dust and said that even with a fix, it is only short term and recommends buying a new laptop. I'm making sure everything is backed up on external hardrive and looking at a new Dell Inspiron 15R. Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

You are welcome anytime please mark the thread as solved if you happy.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Good call

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread
  • 8 8
    1 Review
    This replacement battery is also compatible with the following models of HP: HP Pavilion dv7...
    More on 8
    Price: $144.62 $19.09
  • 8 8
    1 Review
    This replacement battery is also compatible with the following models of HP: HP Pavilion dv7...
    More on 8
    Price: $142.88 $18.32
  • Hp/compaq Pavilion DV7-1125EA 6600mAh/98Wh 12 Cell Li-ion 14.4V Black Compatible BatteryBrand:...