Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Only able to go into startup repair?!

This is a discussion on Only able to go into startup repair?! within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, hopefully someone can help me again. I'm running Windows 7. I was browsing Facebook and computer froze. Had to

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, hopefully someone can help me again. I'm running Windows 7.

I was browsing Facebook and computer froze. Had to manually turn off upon start up I was given the option to start up normally or go into start up repair. I choose startup normally. It ended up automatically going into start up repair. It really isn't appearing to be doing anything. I tried powering down then back on, trying to get into safe mode or something but it directs right back into start up repair with the screen with blue bars going by and it says "attempting repairs... Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." gone over an hour and not getting anything and it won't allow me to cancel. I don't know what to do. Please help!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
Repairing disk errors
Your HDD has errors or it might have failed. On another computer download the ISO image for either Seatools, Drive Fitness, or WD DataLifeGuard in my signature and burn the image to CD with IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and the Long tests on the drive (this will probably take a long time, so be patient) If either test fails or there are too errors, the drive will need to be replaced.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Your HDD has errors or it might have failed. On another computer download the ISO image for either Seatools, Drive Fitness, or WD DataLifeGuard in my signature and burn the image to CD with IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and the Long tests on the drive (this will probably take a long time, so be patient) If either test fails or there are too errors, the drive will need to be replaced.
And if this is the case I'm screwed and should just buy a new PC basically?

Judging by this, and the issue described in the thread below, is that more evidence pointing towards the fact that my drive is shot? If so what about all the data on it?

My Pictures subfolder showing as empty when its full.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Whoa there cowboy!! If your HDD is shot you don't need a new computer, unless your Mit Romneys kid and can afford it. You just need to replace the HDD and reinstall Windows. But to find out if your HDD is indeed shot, then follow the suggestions in the quote and test the drive. If that fails, then take further steps.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Whoa there cowboy!! If your HDD is shot you don't need a new computer, unless your Mit Romneys kid and can afford it. You just need to replace the HDD and reinstall Windows. But to find out if your HDD is indeed shot, then follow the suggestions in the quote and test the drive. If that fails, then take further steps.

Well, with a new HDD how do I install windows? I bought a pre-built from Best Buy. I'm fed up to the point of tears already with the last two months with this and my sisters computer. Perhaps you can give me some assistance with that also.

We have the same exact computer. Bought at the same time. Hes has recently been having freezing issues to the point where it is unresponsive. I ran Norton, I ran Norton Power Eraser and I ran Malwarebytes. There is no virus. I even went so far as to restore it to factory this past weekend. Things SEEMED to have been working ok. Apparently not. It is back to its unresponsive ways. I went to use it to do the things you have suggested but I cant do ANYTHING. :(
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

My sisters seems to be running smoothly in Safe Mode though. I dont know how to fix it.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

I just updated a driver on her PC and restarted trying to go into normal mode. After typing in user password it loads then I get a black screen. (THIS TIME after a while the black screen went away and finally things started to load very slowly)

I know you guys are swamped with people asking for your help but I am at my wits end with this stuff and literally sick to my stomach.

As for my computer I was able to get Drive Fitness burned to a disk and I am going to go do that now.

I VERY MUCH appreciate and thank you for your time, help and patience!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:

Not even finding a drive. Safe to say its done for?

Also can you please help me with the issues on the other PC described above?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Not even finding a drive. Safe to say its done for?
\
If Drive Fitness cannot find the drive, then the HDD has failed. What is the make and model # of your computer? You can get a new HDD for your laptop from Besto Buy or Newegg.com - Notebook Hard Drives, Laptop Hard Drives and replace it. Then contact your computer manufacturer at their web site and see if they will sell you a Recovery Disc for your computer. If not, you can purchase a Windows 7 DVD and boot up off the recovery Disc or the Windows DVD and install Windows.
As for your sisters machine, run the Drive Fitness CD on her laptop and run the short and the long tests on the HDD.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
\
If Drive Fitness cannot find the drive, then the HDD has failed. What is the make and model # of your computer? You can get a new HDD for your laptop from Besto Buy or Newegg.com - Notebook Hard Drives, Laptop Hard Drives and replace it. Then contact your computer manufacturer at their web site and see if they will sell you a Recovery Disc for your computer. If not, you can purchase a Windows 7 DVD and boot up off the recovery Disc or the Windows DVD and install Windows.
As for your sisters machine, run the Drive Fitness CD on her laptop and run the short and the long tests on the HDD.

Ok new development, hers apparently can't find the HD either. But I am still able to get into Windows and even work it (decently) in safe mode. So that can't be right! Also, just a few minutes ago, this is the first time I've ever seen it but it said in the bottom right corner that he copy of Windows 7 is not genuine.

So frustrating!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you didn't activate your Windows 7 it would give you a black screen.
If you know the manufacturer of the HDD then use that companies diagnostic (ex) ST (seagate) use Seatools. If Hitachi/IBM use Drive Fitness, if Western Digital use Data Life Guard.

Closed Thread