Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 · (Edited)
I am trying to install Windows 7 on a friend's laptop, brand new 500GB hard drive in the laptop, hard drive works just fine, I put it up on my USB to ATA bridge. I insert a Windows 7 install disc into the laptop and it will not boot from that Windows 7 disc, it tells me that there is no boot device when nothing could be further from the truth. There is a Windows 7 DVD in the drive. the Windows 7 DVD works in other computers, and the laptop boots into Gparted just fine. and I made sure that this drive is indeed a DVD drive.

A bit of searching around only led to problems with people's hard drives getting corrupt and cannot boot into Windows. There is no results on this message regarding from an actual install disc.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

#2 ·
1) What is the make and model number of the laptop?

2) Will another computer boot from your Windows 7 installation disc?

#3 ·
the laptop, hard drive works just fine,I put it up on my USB to ATA bridge
You cannot install Windows on a HDD attached via USB, it must be installed in the computer.
I insert a Windows 7 install disc into the laptop
Is this an Official Microsoft Windows 7 DVD? or a Burned copy?
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, Move CD/DVD rom drive to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. Or you can press F12 at bootup to do a one time change of boot order.
Once you change the boot order, and start with the disc in, you should see the message. Press Any Key To Boot from CD/DVD. If not, then the drive is not the First Boot Device, the Disc is not bootable, the disc is not being read by the CD/DVD player.
Try the disc on another computer. If it fails to boot that computer, then the disc is the problem. If it boots that computer, then the CD/DVD drive is the problem. Try a Different DVD drive. Or on the computer that reads it, Create an ISO image of the disc using IMGBurn and Burn the image to a USB Flash drive with Rufus, both in my signature. Then with the drive in, Boot into Setup (Bios) Boot tab, and select the USB Flash drive under Hard Drive Group and move it to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.