Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NLS Data is missing boot error

40K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bascotie 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I was working on a computer that needed a new power supply (that's another story), but anyway, I went ahead and replaced it and everything is fine. I reset the bios and now Windows 7 will not boot. I tried using a windows 7 home premium disk to boot up (f8 repair option is gone) and run some bootrec commands which found 2 installations (windows.old and windows) both of which I have added.

If I try to boot from the 'old' installation, it boots up but never logs in.

If I try to boot from the CORRECT installation, it says "windows failed to load because the nls data is missing, or corrupt".

I tried going into the bios and changed IDE to AHCI and vice versa, thinking maybe setting the bios to default settings threw it off, but i get the same issue. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Boot off of the Windows 7 disc and choose Repair Your Computer. If that fails, In the RE (Recovery Environment) you can choose System Restore. You also can choose Command Prompt
First determine what Drive the OS has been assigned by the RE

At command prompt (x: sources) type:-
bcdedit | find “osdevice” (Must inc”) (press enter).

Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS assume C:

At the x sources type:- chkdsk c:/r (press enter), 5 stages of chkdsk will run.
can take awhile.

To run sfc/scannow
at the x: sources type:-
sfc/scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (press enter)
sfc will run can take awhile

Last resort you can browse the windows.old and search for *.*nls files and copy them and paste them into C:\Windows\System32.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

First of all when selecting an operating system to repair, it shows "Windows 7" and "Windows 7 home premium". I believe the latter is from the Windows.old folder so I chose windows 7.

The bsdedit command returns both of these as OSDDevice:

osdevice partition=D:
osdevice partition=D:

I already ran chkdsk on d: using /r /f and also ran sfc scannow using:

/offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=d:\windows
/offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

I believe c: (the 100mb system reserved partition) is currently marked as active for the boot . I'll try finding those files. Anything else that might help?

Is there a way to find out if one of the installations is meant for IDE vs AHCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.