Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

My Hard Drives Dont Show Up In Disk Management

This is a discussion on My Hard Drives Dont Show Up In Disk Management within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a toshiba sattilite with windows 7 x86 32-bit pro pre installed i need to do a clean install

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a toshiba sattilite with windows 7 x86 32-bit pro pre installed
i need to do a clean install but i cant because it says i have no partitons and the only wayt i know how to make one is from a hard drive but when i go to disk management none of them show only the cd drives show my hard drives do show up in my computer but why doesnt show up in disk management please help any one

Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

That doesn't make any sense, can you post a screen shot?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Youngson, This post should be posted in the windows 7 section of this forum if thats the OS your trying to install. If on the other hand you are trying to install windows XP here is a link to step by step instructions on how to prepare your hard drive, create a partition and format it and install the OS. Please read the entire document before proceeding.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

If you need additional help please let us know.

Thank you
Patmark

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

In the Bios Change the SATA drive mode from AHCI to Compatibility mode, Legacy, or IDE. make sure RAID is turned off.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If the hard drives don't appear in Disk Management, there's a good chance your system is infected. Is this why you want to do the clean install?

Are you booting with the Win 7 DVD, or trying to re-install while booted into Windows? Or using a Recovery Disk you created using the Toshiba tool?

The Toshiba should have a method to restore the system to the way it was when it left the factory, either using the Recovery disk set you created, or a Recovery partition. Check the User Guide for your system for the exact procedure. Often started by holding the 0 (zero) key down while powering on the system, or may be an option on the Advance Boot Options screen you get when tapping F8 as the system starts up.
You can download the User Guide for your system if you don't already have it from the Toshiba Support site. Search the guide for Recovering the Internal Storage Drive

This usually deletes all your personal files. Even if it has a non-destructive recovery option, you should have your files backed up, just in case.

You can also post in the malware forum, and have our experts help you remove any infection. They are always busy, so may take awhile for them to get to you.
Click this link: First steps and follow the instructions there and post the requested info in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum, not here.
If you are unable to complete any of the steps, proceed to the next one, but be sure to note which step you were unable to complete, and include any error messages you received while trying to do that step.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I've merged your two threads. Please do not start two threads on the same subject. If you feel it would fit better in a different forum, send a PM to a Moderator or Manager, and one of us can move it for you.

From the Forum Rules:
Quote:
MULTIPLE POSTING

This refers to posting the same question or same replies in multiple areas of the site (also called flooding). Please only post only once. If you feel you have posted in the wrong forum, contact a Moderator or Manager, who will move the post for you. This also includes the creation of multiple new threads on the same or similar topics and sending PM's continuously to one or more Staff members.

Closed Thread