Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

My computer sounds like a school recess bell!!

This is a discussion on My computer sounds like a school recess bell!! within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have developed a strange ‘ringing’ sound coming from my laptop. I have a Dell Vostro 1400 running Vista Home Premium. The ringing sound reminds me of the school bell that rang at the end of class years ago in my long gone youth. It is intermittent and is accompanied by the automatic, unassisted (by me) repeated entering of keystrokes in the Windows log-in, making it impossible to sign in and start Windows.

This began after a re-boot required after I uninstalled PC Tool Firewall, which I had just initially installed to test out but it was acting strange (making rapid clicking sounds not too dissimilar from the ringing sound described above).

I have tried using the Vista recovery disk tools, starting with the start-up repair tool which did nothing, so I then restored to the day before when everything was working fine. That also didn’t help. I tried to do a chkdisk via the command prompt but couldn’t because again there was the automatic unassisted repeated entering of the ‘=’ key.

I had this problem once before several weeks ago. I was never quite sure what caused it, but at that time, it was not entering keystrokes into the log-on, so I was actually able to enter Windows. I don’t recall what fixed it, but I think it was after I did a chkdisk. I remember thinking at the time that perhaps it had been caused by some bad sectors that were repaired using chkdisk.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? I'm pretty sure I did a virus scan using ESET NOD32 after the first event and nothing was found. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi a couple of things you can try this is a bit old http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46104 and also this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...o-new-hardware look for any pctools drivers under non plug and play

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi joeten,

Thanks for the assistance but it turns out that my problem was unrelated to uninstalling the PC Tools firewall. Because I was unable to log into Windows, I could not try what the links that you found suggested.

In desperation, I just taped every key, turned every switch off and on, and as a last ditch effort, unplugged my Logitech wireless mouse USB receiver. That stopped the ringing and the unassisted keystroke entries. Once I was able to log-on to Windows I checked my device manager and everything seemed in order.

My next step was to take the Logitech wireless mouse and try it on my desktop computer. Same problem. I then removed the batteries to see if that had any effect. It didn't, even without power to the mouse, I had the same problem. I don't know if that means the receiver is picking up some kind of interference signal or what, so tomorrow I plan to take it to work and see if the problem replicates itself there on one of my work computers. If it does, I suspect I need a new USB wireless mouse receiver.

I haven't had a chance to see if I can find aney other reports on the internet about similar issues with USB wireless receivers. I'v had it for several years and it has worked just fine up until yesterday.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I'am glad you found the issue and it was not as I had thought, shame your mouse has gone awol you might try a reinstall of any drivers for it if any

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread