Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

My computer... it don't work right.

This is a discussion on My computer... it don't work right. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Nope.... maybe someone can tell me what is wrong with this thing?!! It's so terrible. Please excuse my computer illiteracy

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Nope.... maybe someone can tell me what is wrong with this thing?!! It's so terrible. Please excuse my computer illiteracy and unnecessary length this is sure to be.

I have terrible Vista..on a standard nothing fancy gateway.

Started last month, it would do exciting things like restart itself or turn off... but it always would come back on easily and stay on a while. It did say it was checking disc consistency a couple times. I planned to reinstall vista someday when I got around to it. Then it just WOULD NOT COME ON. EVER. Well, it always powered on.. but nothing happens! At that point I decided to let it chill out for a couple weeks (?)...occasionally turning it on in hopes it would magically work. Well a couple days ago.. it did! I started it in safe mode! It wouldn't let me restore. NO restore points, wouldn't even let me open anything. Clearly restoring would not help anyway.

Long story short - after a lot of it coming on and working normally for hours and hours (shutting off sometimes still ;) and finally reinstalling windows...last night I was daring enough to leave it on overnight and woke up to what I thought were police lights but was just my power button flashing on/off on/off. Scary. Turned it off, and wouldn't come on and stay on again this morning. So with my phone internet I searched for what it could be..read something about taking out the lithium battery and putting it back in and reseating everything in there. So I ripped it apart and did that. (lol)

Now.. I am reading all over the place that I should have LEFT that battery out for a while, and something about BIOS. I'm awful for getting advice off yahooanswers. However, my computer is still on...for now, it was pretty sure that it was December 2005 though.

Any chance I fixed it???? Doubtful right. Probably just need a new motherboard? Do plan on getting a new computer, but the trans in my car is being rebuilt for 2k and well.. new comp will be next month. Can I make this horrible thing last another month without putting any money in it?

If you read this you're awesome, thank you so much!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Ah.. I think I put this in the wrong place :( Sorry!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF have you had any blue screen messages ? is it a laptop or desktop ? what is the make and model ? if it is a custom build please give the make and model of the motherboard,cpu,gpu,ram and power supply

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

I did recieve a blue screen message once this morning actually when it turned on for a moment, thats the only time I can recall ever getting one!

Desktop gateway GT5464

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Try removing and reseating the ram you can also try removing one stick and trying to boot if it does not work swap the sticks and try again remember to ground yourself and turn off the power and remove the cable from the wall first

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you again!!.. all seems to be ok atm so hopefully it worked. My computer doesn't seem to want to acknowledge my speakers.. is this just the craziness or something I did taking out the battery?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I would not think so check device manager for error flags either yellow ! or red X if anything is there reinstall the sound driver from the pc makers support site

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread