Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My computer installs updates 1 of 1 when I shut down.

7K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
When I get ready to shut down it gives me the option to install updates everytime I get ready to click the shut down but and it didn't do this before.

I have a screen shot of what happens when I get ready to shut down...It's always on update 1 of 1. I thought it would eventually finish updating, but it must be a glitch or something. It's been going on for about a week. Help please, thanks in advance. :thumb:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I tried fix it and it was able to install an update that was giving me an error when on windows update...but the windows shield still appears on my shutdown menu and it's an update 1 of 1, I don't know where it's coming from, but it's still there and fix it didn't stop that from reappearing

if you look at the screen shot and at the shut down button in red, you will see the little shield and the words that go with it

#5 ·
well I thought fix it fixed the windows update errors but it didn't...it's still showing 1 imporant update...about a pc fax modem and I don't even have fax modem. and 4 updates that's not important. When I try to run it ago and error pops up Code 80070103 error code.

and the shield is this reappearing on the shut down option and if i click on it it's update 1 of 1

The system update readiness tool for windows vista...didn't work :(

#6 ·
You probably have a dial up modem in your computer that you don't even use or know about. Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc right click the devmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. Open Network Adapters. Attach a screen shot of this in your next post. If you have a dial-up modem that you don't use, you can pull it out of your desktop computer.
You can also Write down the KB # of the update. google it and download the stand alone version of the update.

#7 ·
Thanks again for trying to help me...

Okay...good news so far....the shield has not reappeared yet when I click on the start menu...I think that's because I hid the 5 updates that failed every time that I try to install

-one for the fax modem
-one for my monitor
-one for nvidia gforce
-one for nvidia network controller
-one for real tek audio

I'm assuming they failed because I have a new network adapter, the realtek one...the other stopped working a few weeks ago and I had to get a new one installed to access the internet. When I finally got back online there were several windows updates because I hadn't been online in a few and then the shield started popping up...I didn't really think it was something to worry about because I thought maybe computer needed the updates from being offline for so long.

I hid those updates and everything seems okay, but anymore advice would be much appreciated. :cool:

Attachments

#8 ·
What is the make and model # of your computer? You can go to the manufacturers support/download drivers site for your computer and type in your service tag# or make and model # download the Chipset and Network Adapter for your computer, that should get it working again, and then you won't need the RealTek card any more.
In Device Manager you will see you have Modems as a setting, if you branch that out you will see your dial-up modem. You can also download the dial-up modem driver for your computer. If you don't need this, you can remove modem from the computer then it will stop updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.