Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Mouse Buttons not working completely

This is a discussion on Mouse Buttons not working completely within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Steelseries Ikari Opitcal Gaming mouse. It consists of left, right, 2 more buttons near the thumb area,

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Steelseries Ikari Opitcal Gaming mouse. It consists of left, right, 2 more buttons near the thumb area, the scroll wheel (which can be clicked, middle mouse button) and another button just behind the scroll wheel which changes the sensitivity between low and high for the mouse itself.

I have installed the latest Ikari drivers, but let me detail when the problem arose and what I've done as well as what I'd like the final result to be like:

The problem first came up
while playing a game, Magicka. As something worth mentioning, comodo antivirus announced that the game wanted to inject input8.dll file or something of the sort. I naturally allowed this, expecting no problems would happen. This may be a key point to the problem, although I can't be too sure.

While playing the game, the middle mouse button stopped working, and that's a fairly core aspect of the game, and for some reason the keybinds can't be changed, not sure why, but oh well - I'm stuck without a middle mouse button and unable to do much about it...

The sensitivity changer is out of the picture as well, sadly. I can't switch my sensitivity back to high, it's stuck by default on low.

Another thing I noticed while this problem was going on was that when i started up i could move hte mouse but click nothing. Even though I'd move the mouse over the taskbar icons in Win7, the icons wouldn't highlight, and the mouse, aside from moving the pointer was virtually useless. I had to open Task Manager to be able to gain basic functionality of the mouse.

What I've done was basically mess with firefox and whatnot to see if hitting the middle mouse button actually brought up that little scroll button but it obviously didn't. The middle mouse button just doesn't exist, same applies to the sensitivity changer.

Eventually I decided to check into device updating properties, the USB controller was lacking drivers, but it was always like that, even before this problem cropped up - regardless i updated them and restarted. I gave it several restarts and eventually decided to do a system restore to yesterday's configuration (the problem only happened today).

What I'd like done is to obviously have the middle mouse button back (mainly that one) and hopefully the sensitivity button too, since I'm used on the higher sensitivity setting, having a fairly big monitor and whatnot.

Would somehow getting the original dinput8.dll file or whatever it was called, if it's accessible and relevant back be a possible fix? I'm fairly sure the change had to do with magicka somehow. I had played this game for a few days without any hiccups, but I've never gotten as far as now, so maybe something was triggered which effed up my settings? Not sure to be honest, appreciate any and all advice =]

Lupo.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The support site shows the latest drivers -
Code:
SteelSeries Ikari Optical
Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista 
Region: EN. Version: 1.0. Released: 2008-11-28
  Download (2854 KB)
I don't see updated drivers for Windows 7 - SteelSeries – Downloads

I downloaded the drivers. The release date does say Nov 2008, but the drivers have timestamps = late 2007, before Vista SP1 came out.

If no Windows 7 drivers are available, you'll need a new mouse.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Old 03-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
The support site shows the latest drivers -
Code:
SteelSeries Ikari Optical
Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista 
Region: EN. Version: 1.0. Released: 2008-11-28
  Download (2854 KB)
I don't see updated drivers for Windows 7 - SteelSeries – Downloads

I downloaded the drivers. The release date does say Nov 2008, but the drivers have timestamps = late 2007, before Vista SP1 came out.

If no Windows 7 drivers are available, you'll need a new mouse.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Why is it exactly these worked flawlessly about 8 hours ago? It in fact worked just fine before I even installed the drivers. While playing magicka, the middle button click and sensitivity button stopped functioning altogether, as if something crippled my mouse input controller or something of the sort.

I'm very positive the mouse is fully compatible with windows 7, since it was already working flawlessly, something happened, and I'm honestly reluctant to end up throwing away a 50 buck mouse just because a game messed a bit with it. Worst case scenario I'd have to run the Windows CD and attempt a repair, hoping that would work.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Sometimes a vista driver will work however the updated dll file may have made the difference in which case as JC says new mouse

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Sometimes a vista driver will work however the updated dll file may have made the difference in which case as JC says new mouse
Thanks for the reply. I honestly can't afford just trashing a brand new mouse and grabbing another one, I'll try the mouse on my brother's laptop which is windows 7 (32bit) and see if it functions properly. If it does I'll most probably format my installation and that would hopefully fix the issues, all my important files are on a seperate partition, thankfully.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Update: Tried it on all 4 computers in the house, it is showing the mulfunction on each of them, even after trying to install the drivers. I'm going to assume it's just turned faulty all of a sudden.

I've contacted Steelseries, hoping they'll be able to provide me with some better insight as to what I can do in this current situation. The box does contain the Windows 7 Compatible tag and it was originally working correctly - I just hope this can be resolved permanently.

Thanks for the support too,

Lupo =]
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

It does seem strange hope you get some joy from the makers

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I recently had a Logitech PnP USB mouse go INOP after rebooting and thought the same... only to try it on other systems and find it didn't work on them either.

Closed Thread