Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse and keyboard stop working at random times.

2K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  PC person 
#1 ·
Not completely random. I hope I'm able to finish this before the keyboard stops working.

It starting happening a few weeks ago. I bought a new mouse, but that started freezing up as well. I haven't had any problems yet, since I plugged it into one of the front USB ports. But, I won't be surprised if it happens again.

The times my mouse has stopped working have been after I click the administrator account icon when I sign into windows 7. Once when I double clicked to open firefox, and other times it just plain stops working for no apparent reason. Tonight, while I was using my keyboard to type. I typed an e, and noticed it made about 7 duplicates of that letter before the keyboard stopping working. The other time a few minutes ago it just stopped for no reason.

I see in device manager, I have only HID compliant mouse and HID keyboard device under keyboards and mice and other pointing devices.

However, there are a lot of duplicate entries under the USB controller tab. There are some under the Human Interface Devices tab as well.

#2 · (Edited)
The settings that you see in Human Interface Devices in the Device Manager are correct, there is an HID device for each USB port.
Your USB keyboard you may have a stuck key. Turn it upside down and blow it out with a can of compressed air. To fully test, use the onscreen keyboard, Try another USB keyboard, if that also fails, then it is a software problem.
Go to the Asus drivers page for your model https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_GENE/HelpDesk_Download/ Select your version of Windows 7 and download the Chipset driver, install this first, then the USB 3.0 driver. Also go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will install any missing system files.

#3 ·
I'm guessing it's probably not a stuck key, since the mouse was failing as well, earlier. I looked, the e isn't stuck (though, I've had stuck keys at other times) I'll try what you said. Actually, first- I'm going to plug the keyboard into another USB port and see if it eventually fails. So, I'll be back to this thread if it does.

#4 ·
I plugged my mouse and keyboard into the front USB ports. Then, tried 2 back ones again- sure enough, they started not working after a while. They are back to the front. But, I don't want to connect them to front USB ports, I want them connected to the back ones.

Tonight, also my computer crashed while dragging ahead the progress circle on a youtube video. Someone else said they were having the same problem on that video. What's also happening is that my headset will stop working. There will be no sound after a while, even though I changed the USB port it is plugged into. Youtube videos will not even play, never mind have sound and MP3/MP4 files will not play either.

Emsisoft can't open, I get a message saying a major error is preventing it. USB 2.0 devices aren't working is USB 3.0 ports, aren't they supposed to be backward compatible?

#5 ·
Did you download the chipset drivers in link in post #2.
Also go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files. Tell us the results.

#9 · (Edited)
It already is the 64 bit version, and running as administrator makes no difference, I get the same error message.

Something else that's not working is my sound/headset

I'm tempted to say yes, not sure what it will do.

Funny thing is, there are nothing in those jacks, only the USB jacks in the back of my computer.

#10 ·
Driver enhancements give you some special sound effects that will enhance your audio experience.
The steps to disable driver enhancements are listed below:
a. Click Start.
b. Type Sound in the Start search box and click Sound from the available options.
c. On the Playback tab, click Speakers and then click Properties.
d. Click the Enhancements tab and then select the Disable all enhancements check box.

If disabling driver enhancements doesn't help, please follow the steps given below:
a. Right click on volume icon in system tray.
b. Select Playback Devices. Select the Speakers icon, and click Properties.
c. Select the Enhancements tab.
d. Scroll down to Loudness Equalization and check the box.
e. Click Apply.

If the above given methods do not help, please uninstall your Audio driver, restart your PC and again install it.

#12 ·
If disabling driver enhancements doesn't help, please follow the steps given below:
a. Right click on volume icon in system tray.
Ok

b. Select Playback Devices. Select the Speakers icon, and click Properties.
Ok, once it again it asks me if I want to disable audio enhancements, which I'm not sure why, I did this in the first set of steps. I said yes.

c. Select the Enhancements tab.
There is no enhancements tab.

I'm going to reinstall the audio driver right now, after this post. Strange thing is my volume icon has an x through it, and it has it's unplugged- it isn't. It also says it a device for the 3 audio plugs (non-usb in the back- there is nothing plugged into those ports) It's a USB headset with a microphone.

#13 ·
It also says it a device for the 3 audio plugs (non-usb in the back- there is nothing plugged into those ports)
If your default audio playback is Speakers, and there are no speakers plugged into the Green Audio port in the back or front, then you will get a Red X on the speaker icon.
Following the suggestions in post #10, at the Playback tab, is there another audio device (ie) USB Headset listed? If so, then select this as the Default playback device.

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, it's there and it's already is set to the default playback device. However, disable all enhancements wasn't checked. I checked it.

I also reinstalled the audio driver last night. But, the same thing happened, after a while my sound will stop working.

Also, I have two other things under the playback tab, that are not set to default.

1. Realtec digital output
2. Realtec digital output (optical)

they are both set to ready but not default.

#15 ·
Had someone come over to take a look at it today. The mouse and keyboard and headset issues were resolved after resetting the BIOS to NOT overclock (which is strange since I never set it to do that- for some reason when the we had to shut down by pressing down the power button it said on the BIOS screen that overclocking failed) There were a lot of entries in event viewer about that. So far, so good- the mouse and keyboard haven't stop working since.

As far as my external hard drives that weren't working are concerned, we tried to USB ports on my computer. Then he tried plugging one of the hard drives into his computer, it still didn't work. Then, he took the hard drives out of their enclosures-

We tried connecting the open hard drive to the to a cable via this adapter Hard Drive Converter USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA (USB-DSC5) Sabrent | eBay

And for some reason, it worked when we plugged it into my computer via USB with the adapter. We put it back in the case, and it still worked when connecting it (without the adapter, via the back USB port) We then did the same with the other, except didn't use the adapter to test it this time when it was out of the enclosure, and then it worked when we put it back in the case. He thinks maybe the circuits board that encrypts and decrypts was lose or something. But, it's a good thing the USB ports work- that I don't need a new motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.