Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor shuts off when windows logs on (Among other issues....)

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jtp8266 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll Try to provide a very thorough background on my machine and it's history.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus p5n32 e sli plus
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 ghz
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8gb
OS: Windows Vista Sp1 64 bit (All Updates Installed etc.)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
This is a homemade computer.

So one day my computer crashes and won't boot, I figure out that a stick of my gskill ram is dead. I also realize that It's time for a new harddrive because my older ones are all full. So I purchase a Western Digital 1tb harddrive and 4 - 2gb sticks of crucial ballistix ram. Since I ordered 8gb of ram and had windows xp before, I decided to upgrade to Vista 64 to get use out of all 8gbs of ram. So I install vista on the new hard drive and everything goes fine. I use this for about 2 weeks with intermittent BSOD crashes including (ndis.sys, stop 0x00000109, stop 0x0000000E, Stop 0x0000000A among others). After crashing during a paper I said enough was enough. I did some reading and saw that some people updated their BIOS to some effect. I know the dangers of updating BIOS so I didn't want to but I was hoping that there would be increased compatibility with the 8gb of memory. So I download BIOS version 1201 for my board from the asus site, load it on a cd and update my bios (using Asus ez flash 2 in the bios menu). It finishes, says my computer will restart, it does and then my computer won't turn on. Then I reset the CMOS by removing the battery on the board and moving the jumper. My computer then turns on but won't boot to windows. I then go to reinstall windows but it takes about 30 minutes for the dialog box to show up (I look at the windows install splash screen forever before it loads up) I format my 1tb drive and install it, it finishes I go to boot and it says boot.mgr missing press ctrl + alt + dlt to restart. I get a different vista install disc and reinstall, same thing happens. This time It reinstalls I change bios to boot cd first cd instead of the harddrive that I installed windows on and it boots to windows. I go into windows install some updates and hit restart, When it restarts it gets stuck at the windows splash screen (where the green bar slides across the screen with the windows logo) it never loads restarted multiple times. Format drive reinstall windows again (this takes about an hour windows install is incredibly and unusually sluggish) this time loads up but when I get past my bios my monitor shuts off (says there is no connection) and windows finishes loading. I unplug my monitor from one of the plugins and plug it into the other, it turns on and my resolution is at 600x800 (I have only 3 options of resolution changes, yes the video drivers are installed) try to update my nforce sli... this installs then says "This didn't install properly do you want to reinstall" I say yes, a bunch of errors come up and nothing happens. I restart and again my monitor shuts off when windows loads and I have to plug it into the opposite plug on my video card.

So my problems are basically
1) If I try to boot from my harddisk I get "Boot mgr missing"
2) My board is having difficulty handling the 8gbs of ram (yes this ram is on the QVL and designed to work in this board) and is what lead my first vista 64 to be unstable
3) My monitor shuts off everytime windows loads and I have to unplug it from my computer and replug it into another jack.

I think I may just downgrade to vista 32 or back to xp. I'm sorry this is lengthy, I wanted to be thorough.

I've tried:
Reinstalling drivers
Reinstalling OS
Use Different OS discs

Thank you for your time,

Josh

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.