Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

MMC problem-Event Viewer snap-in

This is a discussion on MMC problem-Event Viewer snap-in within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm running Vista Business edition on an Asus system (mobo K8N-E Deluxe, cpu AMD Athlon 64 3000+, ram 1.5GB).

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm running Vista Business edition on an Asus system (mobo K8N-E Deluxe, cpu AMD Athlon 64 3000+, ram 1.5GB). I've not had any real problems thankfully!

However when I try to add the Computer Management snap-in to an MMC console I get an error that Event Viewer could not be opened. Computer Managent then locks up the MMC and I have to use Task Manager to close it. If I try to add Event Viewer on its own I get the same error. [MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in may not be installed correctly. Name: Event Viewer. CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}]

I have been able to add other snap-ins such as Disk Manager and Device Manager without any problems.

Is the eventvwr.exe file corrupted? Will I need to extract it from the installation disk? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Martin

Old 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Donnie Darko

I have the same problem. Found this thread while looking for a solution for myself.

This thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=970546&SiteID=17 offers several possible explanations/solutions. The most common seems to be the existance of a file "eventvwr.exe.config" in the C:\Windows\System32 directory and deleting or renaming it seems to be the cure.

Other associated possible causes include Peachtree accounting software, MS Office 2007 and Nero 7. (I did not have the .config file, nor Peachtree, but I do have both MS 2007 and Nero 7).

Hope this is of some use to you. Please report here if you found a solution & describe what it was; it might help me (and others).

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed
Hello, I have an HP Pavilion524w with a1.73 gigahertz AMD Athelon XP processor, 60 gigabytes hard drive with 35 gigabytes of free space, & 352 Megabytes installed memory. This info is provided by the program Belarc Advisor. If you need more, please let me know. My problem; I'm on Broadband...
ELB Windows XP Support 61 05-30-2007 01:36 PM
Ive Got so Many Problems I don't know what to do [Moved from HJT]
I have been getting a lot of errors. These include playing music and videos in media programs such as WMP Winamp and Real Players. My computer also also goes to the blue screen of death with a serious system error that says it could proceed and took this action to prevent damage to my system. ...
assassin451 Windows XP Support 35 05-06-2007 09:07 PM
Slow to boot and shut down
I have a couple of issues with my computer the main one being that it takes forever to boot up and shut down. I am assuming I have way to much starting up and running in background but do not know how to fix. Also I am running Windows XP Media Edition and after some start ups it automatically...
fleka Windows XP Support 71 10-10-2006 11:59 AM
new hijackthis log, please help!
been away for 5 months and the family machine is in a bit of a mess. could you check my log and tell me what needs to be done. thanks shaun Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 19:28:09, on 31/05/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1...
el-picto Resolved HJT Threads 11 06-11-2006 03:14 AM
my windows just shows me the blue screen and shuts down
(i didnt read the post instructions, so i wrote down the question in someone elses thread. Sorry, my bad) Can someone help, few days ago my comp. started acting strange. It just shows me a blue death screen and shuts down. I runed hijackthis scan like i saw you did, and this is the log...... ...
INSERT_COIN Resolved HJT Threads 26 11-03-2005 11:48 AM