Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft won't verify my Product Key

14K views 53 replies 13 participants last post by  Trancer365 
#1 ·
Hi.

I'm trying to do a fresh Windows install on a used laptop that I recently bought but when I try to download the ISO file -from Microsoft site- giving the Product Key (found by Magical Jelly Bean KF) I get a message saying "we encountered a problem with the product key you provided...".

I tried to research the problem but from the little I've found it seems I'm out of luck.

I don't know if this means the key has been used in other computers (I'm thinking maybe the guy who sold me the PC works with computers).

I tried using the Product Key on the label on the bottom of the PC but got a message telling me to contact the manufacturer of the PC or something like that.

So, is there anything I can do now?

This is an old Lenovo and I'm not sure if I can get help from them.

The other thing, I'm not sure if the HDD is original or not in this PC.

Any help is much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess would be the OS that was installed on the used laptop was bogus or not an appropriate version for use on that laptop. That being said, your best bet may be to see if you can get a system restore disk set from Lenovo...if they still sell them.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, djaburg, but I don't think the OS is bogus. It shows "windows is activated" and a Genuine Microsoft logo under system info. I'm not sure what you mean by "not an appropriate version for use on that laptop". It has Windows 7 Pro, which I'm sure many of these Lenovos came with.

#4 ·
If the key on the sticker isn't the one in the computer, then likely there's an issue. If the computer was used, then a different version (ie enterprise, open license, volume) could have been loaded. If neither the key on the sticker nor the key in the computer will validate in order to download the appropriate image, then I'd suspect something is questionable. Just basing my comment on the many systems I've worked on that were not factory systems but those that were purchased "used" by my clients.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't know. Someone -I think here somewhere- told me that it's ok that the two numbers are different and I also read that on a couple different sites.

Quote from pcsupport site :

"Why did the key finder tool find a different Windows product key than the one on the sticker on my computer?"

"If your computer was manufactured by a large company like Dell, Sony, Gateway, etc. then the product key that the key finder found was very likely a generic product key that Microsoft allows the manufacturer to use so it's easy for them to mass produce PCs.
This generic product key will NOT work if you use it to reinstall Windows. I should also note here that a commercial key finder program will not find a different key so don't pay money for one thinking you'll get a different product key.
You'll need to use the product key that's on the sticker attached to your computer and not the one that any key finder tool finds. If you can't locate your product key, you may have to request a new one from Microsoft."

So, according to that, the key on the bottom of my PC should work but when I enter the Product key on the sticker this is the message I get : " the product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. And it tells me to contact them. *** ?

Oh, and here's the confusing part. The pcsupport site says :

" Tip: It's really easy to change your Windows product key from the generic one used by your computer maker to the unique key found on your product key sticker."

Conflicting info. Microsoft won't accept the one on the sticker but the site says it's the one that should work, not the one in the PC, yet Microsoft seems to think otherwise !

Man! So even when we have 2 keys and we think we're in the safe we can still be screwed as if we had none.

I don't know what to do now.

#10 · (Edited)
" the product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. And it tells me to contact them. *** ?
According to the "error" message, you need to contact the laptop manufacturer.

MS doesn't directly supply the OEM versions installed by manufacturers.

The OEM lic noted on the PC won't work with a retail version (which is what you are trying to download). If you have/had a retail key, that will allow you to download the iso from MS.

#6 ·
The reality is, if neither key works, then I'd suggest going to Lenovo and see if you can get a recovery disk set and be done with it. If that's not an option, then there's not much you can do. Normally with Lenovo and other big manufacturers there is an option to create a recovery disk set from their recovery partition, if that's missing, then the computer has been reinstalled with a version of windows that didn't come with it. Again, I'd start with contacting Lenovo to get a recovery disk set.

#7 ·
What is the make and model # of the Lenovo? You probably don't need a recovery disc set to reinstall Windows. There is probably a recovery partition on the computer to set it back to factory Defaults. To access the Lenovo Recovery press the ThinkVantage button to start the computer. (see attached) Click System Recovery.
Or restart the computer pressing F10.
If neither of those options work then see if you are eligible to get a Recovery Media Windows Downgrade Recovery Media - Lenovo Support (US). Or you can call Microsoft to activate the version you have, or get a disc from Ebay.

Attachments

#11 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it.
Just a couple of things :

The sticker on the PC does say it is Window 7 Pro. So, it wasn't an upgrade. And the sticker doesn't look like it's been tampered with.

This is a Lenovo T500, similar to the one in the pic here and I've already tried the blue button (Thinkvantage) but the button only works at startup and there's no Recovery option of any sort. Pressing the blue button while the PC is on doesn't do anything.
I've also tried F11 (when starting) but that doesn't do anything no matter how many times I try. F10 gives me a menu for booting order or something like that.

So, looks like I'll have to contact either MS or Lenovo for this but I'm pretty sure that Lenovo is going to charge for whatever I might need, which I don't know if it will be worth it considering this is an older PC. I'm not sure if MS will even offer any help for free.

I just don't get it, what's the point of a COA sticker that has a Product key that doesn't work?

I don't know if there's a chance Magical Jelly Bean is giving me an incorrect key #, but I doubt it.

#13 ·
To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
Once saved, run the tool.
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

#14 ·
The sticker is a Lic, but it's for an OEM version (as you noted with Magic Jelly Bean).

For more info, reread my first reply.

MS won't help you as they don't provide direct support for OEM, you need to contact the OEM (ie: Lenovo). They may or may not provide recovery media (for a small fee).

#15 ·
Can you tell us the Product ID generated not the COA. I have seen many of these Lenovo using "retail" keys and we can tell that by the Product ID in which case the install dvd you are using is wrong because it may not be oem install.
Remember the key that Magical Jelly bean reads could be the master key for install and not the actual COA but that said the sticker on it should be proper code. You are better off running Belarc Advisor as that will show the right key even in Windows 8 and 10 versions where Magical Jelly Beans is way off.

#16 ·
Thanks for the replies.
MGAD tools show the same Product Key as given by Magical JB.

Here's the report :
Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
-----------------------------------------
Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-MV8MH-98QJM-24367
Windows Product Key Hash: wgci5Gdejx4esg7++zTOe3LWF+4=
Windows Product ID: 00371-OEM-8992671-00437
Windows Product ID Type: 2
Windows License Type: OEM SLP
Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048
ID: {B999091D-2514-45D7-BB5C-612E8F6BBC4C}(3)
Is Admin: Yes
TestCab: 0x0
LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
Architecture: 0x00000009
Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_ldr.160408-2045
TTS Error:
Validation Diagnostic:
Resolution Status: N/A

The report is longer but I'm assuming this is the information I need to post but let me know if you need the rest of the report.

Thanks

#18 ·
#19 ·
As expected, the Key is the mass-install Key used by the manufacturer - and present in thousands (if not millions) of computers manufactured by Lenovo.

Computers that come pre-installed with Windows from large manufacturers usually come with two Product Keys.

OEM SLP: This is the key that came in Windows (from the factory). It works by connecting to a BIOS flag (the SLIC table) found only on computers from that Manufacturer. It also checks for the existence of proper matching licenses in the OS itself. Once it sees both, it self-activates every time the machine is rebooted.

COA SLP: This is the key seen on the sticker located on the side, bottom or in the battery compartment of your machine. This key is for use if the OEM SLP self-activation stops working for whatever reason.

Unfortunately MS seem to have decreed that only Retail Keys can have access to downloads of Windows 7 (although the site is so buggy that a few seem to slip through!).

#21 ·
You always have a number of options for a reinstall...
1) The manufacturer's Recovery media- Lenovo have a very good Recovery tool, and most models have a minimum of dross which would require removal after using it.

2) a Retail or OEM System Builder disk (you can borrow one for the purpose)

3) download from a non-approved site. If you do this, be very careful about the source, and preferably only use one with the same Hash values as MS publish.

#23 ·
That's weird, I tried to sign in yesterday (from my laptop) but I couldn't and I got a message telling me I needed to check my email for the new password (sent by the site). Checked my email and didn't find anything. Today I tried to sign in from my desktop and I'm here !!

Thanks, NoelDP. How or where do I get the Recovery media/tool ?
As for the Retail System Builder disk, you mean to borrow a CD from someone who has Windows 7 Pro, and then use my own Product Key to activate? I was wondering if it was possible to do that.

And for the 3rd option, you mean download -from a non-MS site- Windows OS and then use my Product Key?

Thanks.

#25 ·
If you read the Lenovo manual it tells you how to access the Recovery system.
If that has been wiped or otherwise damaged, then you can purchase a new set of disks from Lenovo.

@Rich-M - The Product Key found by Belarc is almost certain to be the OEM_SLP Key - and of no use whatever unless used with the Recovery media (which will automatically use that Key anyhow). The only times it will be otherwise is if the system has been installed from other than the Recovery media, or if for some reason the OEM_SLP Key stopped working and it was necessary to change the Key to the one on the Sticker.

#26 ·
Well, as I already mentioned earlier, F11 button (which is how I can do a factory reset/recovery according to Lenovo) does not work or do anything at startup. I think the partition on this pc has been deleted or something. The other way is the "Thinkvantage" button. But that didn't work either. It only works during startup but it only gives me a menu for other options, non of which has to do with Recovery or doing a factory reset.

I think the options I have now is to buy a CD from Lenovo, which I'm not going to do. Or see if I can use my friend's copy then use my Product key with it if that works.

#27 ·
So, I have downloaded the Win7 ISO and burned it on a CD, put the CD in the tray -just to test it- and it asked me if I wanted to install Windows... So, I think it's working but before I go ahead and wipe/reformat the drive, I want to be on the safe side just in case something goes wrong or the Product Keys I have don't work. So, my question is how can I back up the OS on a laptop? Is an external HDD a must in this case?

Thank you

#28 ·
Pretty much - unless you have very little data on there!
If you right-click on the C:\Users folder and select Properties, it'll (eventually) come up with a size which should include most of the data you'll need, unless you've stored data outside the default areas.
Note that it will not include any data which is stored elsewhere.

#32 ·
NoelDP, I don't have anything on this PC. Just a few programs that I can download again. So, all I really need (to back up) is the OS.

Rich-M, I cannot spend money on this PC not because I can't afford to, but because it really isn't worth it. It's old, the battery needs to be replaced in the near future, and it only has 4GB of memory, so I might need to add more memory, and it's not my primary PC. So, I see no justification to throw $50 or even less for a Recovery disk because adding everything up I'll have paid more than twice what this PC is worth. But what's making me mad is that I thought I was in the safe having the Product Keys that came with the PC.

I can just use it the way it is but I can't even get any updates for some god damn reason (just keeps checking and checking and checking for updates....no matter what I do).

Or, I'll just wipe everything and say screw Windows and use Linux instead.

#29 ·
Unless that version of Windows is an OEM version (as noted above), your OEM key will not work (as you found out trying to download from MS).

The OS will still install and function, but you will be left either buying a retail disc and installing again, buying a license from MS through the installed OS, or buying the recovery discs from Lenovo and installing again (the cheapest option by far).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.