Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messed up permissions on Windows 7 -- no programs will start

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
I tried to fix permissions for a partition, so ended up using an icacls command following suggestions read online. Since it seemed to be taking quite a while, I changed my mind and terminated to process (decided I'll just format the partition).

I don't know if it was this or something else, but another partition -- my Windows partition, to be exact -- now also has messed up permissions. No no programs will start when I boot up my computer.

I read that this could be fixed by running icacls * /t /q /c /reset as an administrator, but that command is giving me a bunch of errors (cannot find path, access denied etc.)
Can this be fixed by using takeown /R /F *? If not, how should I proceed in order to not break up anything more?

#2 ·
Hi, you need patience and should not be playing with permissions unless you know what you are doing, may have to reinstall (you do have backup, right?).

There are a number of ways to go about this, lets try the easiest:-

Log in with your usual user account, open a cmd prompt as admin (as i see you can do).

Open a cmd prompt as administrator, change to the c:\ drive, (I assume this is the OS drive, if not change) for example my prompt is:-

C:\WINDOWS\system32> (what you type is highlighted in red)

At this I type:-

cd c:\ (press enter)

c:\> at this I type:-

c:\>takeown /f c: (press enter), you will receive a message:-

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "c:\" now owned by user "DESKTOP-F6VLRUA\Paul"

You are back at the c:\> prompt, at this type:-

c:\>Icacls c:\ /grant desktop-f6vlrua\paul:f (Press enter)

(Here you substitute your user name from the proceeding cmd, mine is (DESKTOP-F6VLRUA\Paul) (be patient it is applying permissions and will take some time, you will see the cursor flashing)

After some time a message will appear
processed file: c:\
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

c:\> type:-exit (press enter) Restart, let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.