Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Media Drives Not Showing Up

This is a discussion on Media Drives Not Showing Up within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Windows Vista Home Premium (Acer Aspire m5100). Until recently I did not have any trouble with the

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Windows Vista Home Premium (Acer Aspire m5100). Until recently I did not have any trouble with the Media Card drives (SD, XD). I recently noticed that they are no longer showing up in My Computer. If I put a card in, the little "green light" indicating that the card is in the slot does not come on. And the device does not show up in My Computer.

When I go to Device Manager, I can click on USB, and other than having an "unknown device" there are no yellow exclamations indicating problems. I have rebooted (twice). I have Run PC Pitstop Optimize2, and it did not find any problems. Run AVG nightly and no viruses. Ran Ad-ware and no infections.

I did a System Restore on 1/30 because of Flash Player not working. Don't know if that was the problem or not. Flash Player is now working, but now have the problem with the media drives.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Try finding the drivers for the media card reader on the Acer website, and reinstalling them. I can't imagine what else the problem would be, unless something came loose inside the computer, hah.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Problem Solved. I don't remember where I read it, but a suggestion for my Acer Aspire M5100 running Windows Vista Home Premium, was to shut down
my computer. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then UNPLUG the Power Cord from the computer. After unplugging it, the suggestion was then to hold the Power Key on the front of the computer on for about 10 seconds. I did this, and even with the Power Cord unplugged, it briefly lit Blue, (Signifying it was on) before staying off. I then put the Power cord back in, Rebooted the Computer, and all my drives were back in place and all my system seems to be working fine. So, I did a System Restore and marked it with a special name. Internet seems fine. Downloaded mail fine. Camera, speakers and printer are all fine. So, I am taking this as case closed.