Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Media center won't record!

This is a discussion on Media center won't record! within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ive got media center working fine except that when I try and record anything, it just doesnt start, when I

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ive got media center working fine except that when I try and record anything, it just doesnt start, when I look in the history in recorded tv it says a tuner failure occured. My TV card is K-world DVB-T Hybrid TV, Ive downloaded the latest drivers and its a new PC.

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
Registered Member

If its Media Center in Vista, try delete C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Recording\Recordings.xml file.

If its MCE 2005 you have plenty of troubleshooting resources available to you on the net.
Visit http://thegreenbutton.com and do a search on site.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

I do have Vista media center, and I couldnt locate the file you suggested, infact I couldnt find program data on c:/ only program files, the media center files seem to be under C:/Windows/ehome
Old 08-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osutton View Post
I do have Vista media center, and I couldnt locate the file you suggested, infact I couldnt find program data on c:/ only program files, the media center files seem to be under C:/Windows/ehome
No that is only program files.

eHome directories are found elsewhere allso, just do a search.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi thanks, I found the files, dont understand why programdata doesnt appear in my C: directory though.
Anyway deleted the file and still no joy. Any more ideas? Also it seems that media center won't play anything from the recorded tv file, i.e. the sample vids.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ow download: http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp

Its a codec pack that has all the essentials you need for media center (I use this).
Aditionally you need Haali codec for HD content MKV files to play at their optimal speed and quality: http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe

Hope it helps your problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Still no luck! I had a codec pack installed already with Haali splitter and ffdshow etc so i think im alright for codecs. I can play any videos through the video library, just wont play from the recorded tv or start recording, says the error was there was no tuner available.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

Right had some slight progress, found a hotfix through trying to get new drivers for my tv card KB933262, which solved playing media from the recorded tv folder problem, however live tv still won't record.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
Registered Member

Im pretty sure its not a problem with my tv card because I can record with the brand software HyperMediaCenter
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Registered Member

Unfortunatelly, this is only help I found regarding your issue.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...5626e1033.mspx

Hope it helps.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yeah ive already been through that, its the general idiot problem solver, doesnt actually help with any real problems, spose I'll have to wait until Vista gets a bit more support development. Thanks for the help though
Old 08-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #12
Registered Member

Well the problem is Vista media center is very and throughly insistant on standards.
Concerning drivers and when TV is involved in media center. It exclusively wants/needs TV tuners that have hardware MPEG2 encoders onboard. Some manufacturers have made special WORKAROUND drivers to combat this limit. Some implemented it better than others I might add.
There are still conflicts in many occasions when this is the case. If you have a TV tuner of the OLD age, or atleast a cheaper one (sub $150) chances are you have a pile of junk without a hardware encoder on it and quite possibly a dodgy driver support claiming Vista COMPATIBILITY at best.
I too have a TV tuner without hardware encoder (Pinnacle) but it says its a Vista version. Works like a charm, but I had problems allso.

Regarding recording issue I really have no experience on the matter as I havent had such problems myself.