Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

many programs "Have stopped working"

This is a discussion on many programs "Have stopped working" within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Every time I turn around, "This program" has stopped working. Here are the examples that are on the screen right

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Every time I turn around, "This program" has stopped working. Here are the examples that are on the screen right now.
Alps pointind-device driver has stopped working
Windows shell common dll has stopped working
Microsoft Sync Center has stopped working
Microsoft sync center has stopped working (Yes, again, the first one wasn't closed.)

These ones popped up on reboot (I also often get one, I can't remember specifically, but it has to do with the windows media sharing config.)
Then I tried to run SFC First time:
The instruction at 0x6fff0a08 references memory 0xffffffff (Or how ever many f's) The memory could not be read.
The second time
System Integrity check and repair has stopped working.

For the love of god, please help me, this is driving me nuts!
I have norton antivirus, and did a complete scan. It found tracking cooking, but nothing else.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

My System

The first step to your system recovering is to uninstall the Norton. Then install MSE as a replacement. Then run the sfc check again. Good luck.

Please use the Norton removal tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/support...05033108162039

Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Notron was installed MONTHS before this issue began. However I see not harm in attempting, epically since I have had no other replies. I will attempt it now, and get back with results.

Other things that have stopped working:
Device Display object function discovery provider has stopped working.
This one happens when I plug in my iphone, or an ipod (the ipod had not previously been connected, but the iphone had) but NOT when I connect either of the two external mice I use when at home (This computer is a laptop)
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #4

My System

Yes, please let us know. Cool.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thought I would post a quick update (The more information you have, you know)

More things that have stopped working:

Microsoft(c) Register server has stopped working
Windows task manager has stopped working (After I close it, not when its running)
Notepad has stopped working (Again, after I close it, not when its running)
Userinit login application has stopped working (When loging into windows, screen was black, and would not proceed, but after closing it, I was presented with:)
Run once wraper has stopped working (Screen still was black, but when I clicked close program, I was able to get into windows normally, but then:)
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application has stopped working. (Twice, like, before I clicled close, or even had the chance to click close on the first one)

Isn't this insane?
I am about to try removing norton now (Tried Super anti spyware and malwarebytes first, found nothing)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ok, well, I found the solve (Without uninstalling norton I may add.) I decided to think again. It turns out not being able to figure out what was wrong turned out to be, what I love to call, a "user problem." I recently installed iz3d www.iz3d.com Amazing program, except it appears that it doesn't work well with windows 7 64 bit. So as soon as I realized, "Oh yea, I installed that program" I tried, of course, uninstalling it. I rebooted, and well, nothing has stopped working, and needed to close, except for perhaps my brain for the night (I just wish I got the "Your brain has stopped working, and needed to close" message earlier, perhaps I would have gone to bed and thought about the issue.)

For the record, anyone looking at this thread in the future, the driver injection program was NOT even running. Just the fact the program was installed, not even running, created this issue.

Now if you can excuse me for the night, I think I will allow my brain to stop working, and close. At least I can poke fun at my own mishaps.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

My System

Nice program!

also if your system is powerful enough you might want to try it in a Virtual Machine running XP

Just Google "Virtual Machine"