Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Log On to an Unresponsive Desktop Wallpaper (No Icons, etc.) [Many Details Inside]

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  charade501 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello friends, I am in need of some desperate help, and I wasn't sure where to post this. =x
I've been experiencing this problem for over a day now, so I'm just going to post the "logs" I've written down as I've gone through the process of trying to find a solution.

Background: I've had this computer for almost a year, and have never experienced a problem with it before yesterday.

My Specs: i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz, Adata XPG V2 8GB DDR3 1600, Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3, Thermaltake Smart Series 750w PSU, NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB, and I run Windows 7.

Note: The main problem at this point is that when I load my computer, the only thing that shows is my desktop wallpaper and nothing else - icons, taskbar, etc. don't load. When I try to Ctrl+Alt+Del, the screen goes black and I hit either spacebar or Enter to get back to the unresponsive desktop wallpaper screen once again.

The problem all started when I attempted to boot up the computer one morning, the lights turned on for a split second and immediately turned off once again. After searching Google thoroughly, it appeared as if this was the computer attempting to stop from short circuiting. I personally have no experience with computer hardware whatsoever, so I was baffled as to what to do, as the computer would not start up anymore. My father simply unplugged everything, took a look inside of the computer, switched on something that appeared to be an alternate on/off thinger, and hooked it up once again. This time, the computer loaded up.

The first thing I see is an error message informing me that the BIOS is corrupted - it goes through this little loading screen and eventually I reach the main problem: an unresponsive desktop wallpaper screen devoid of anything but the wallpaper. When I would Ctrl+Alt+Del, expecting to be able to simply run "explorer.exe", the Ctrl+Alt+Del would simply make the screen turn black. After several attempts to reboot the system, I finally decided to go into Safe Mode and run a virus scan. Why? I dunno, I'm not as computer savvy as I'd like to be so I figured it might've been software related. Maybe it is. But.. the virus scan didn't pick up anything, so I immediately ruled out a virus. Next, I attempted a System Restore to a few days prior - the only save point I had was just before a Windows Update, so I did it. Didn't fix a thing.

The next thing I tried was a random solution I came across on Google for the 'main problem' I'm facing, which was disabling all startup services in msconfig while in Safe Mode. I did this, and the computer actually loaded beyond the desktop wallpaper screen. I restarted the computer to apply some updates, and the same problem came back to haunt me: an unresponsive desktop wallpaper screen! After a restart or two, I managed to get past the unresponsive screen, and for approximately three minutes I was able to do the things I'd normally be able to do. Then it simply froze, and became an unresponsive screen once again, and I couldn't even Ctrl+Alt+Del to get a black screen, everything was simply frozen.

When I did manage to get on the next time for whatever reason, I was prompted with an error regarding the display drivers. Nothing I could do from here, so I decided to update my BIOS for whatever reason. I updated it using Q-Flash. For reference, my MoBo is the GA-Z87-HD3. After I did this, I rebooted and everything was working smoothly. Logged on (received this error: "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered"), restarted to apply changes, and it actually freakin' worked! This worked for the rest of the time I was using the computer - as I was scared to restart at this point - and eventually I got off, shutting down the computer to install those Windows Updates I System Restored in the beginning of this process.

And here I am, the next morning, experiencing the exact same problem that plagued me throughout yesterday, with no plausible solutions in sight.
So, what do I do?!

Kudos and thank you if you managed to read all of this (I tried to be as thorough as possible as to cast away any possible confusion, though making it longer may have added to the confusion..), and thanks to anyone who can provide a solution to this peculiar problem.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi, no the battery should be OK, taking it out for the 5 mins will clear the cmos memory, this is good practice as you said you flashed the BIOS, just remember how you remove it (silver about the size of a dime) so you refit it properly.

See if this helps if not we need to dig deeper post back.

#5 ·
Alright guys, I did end up taking out the CMOS battery as per your instructions. The issue, however, did not go away.
I've almost definitely ruled out the possibility of it being software-related by reformatting my SSD.

Read this thread for my journey through software testing: Log Onto an Unresponsive Desktop Background (No Icons, etc.) [Many Details] - Windows 7

My last step would be to ship my computer (which I already have an RMA for) back to the company I purchased it from (CyberPowerPC), but I do not want to have to pay the ~$120 shipping + insurance costs (apparently their warranty does not cover shipping and handling costs... yay), so I would really rather be able to possibly fix this on my own, if possible.

Is there anything else I can do at this point?

#6 ·
If you can get Windows to run press alt, ctrl, and del select "Task manager" go to "New Task" type in CMD.exe if there is a box "Create this task with Administrative Privileges" tick the box. Hit enter. In the command prompt windows type in then hit enter.
Code:
SFC /SCANNOW
If you can not load Windows in normal mode try it in Safe Mode reboot the computer start tapping F8 right way in the options screen select Safe Mode. If the Desktop loads and Windows Explorer also go to Start type in CMD locate CMD.exe right click on CMD.exe then select "Run As Administrator"
in the command prompt windows type in then hit enter

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you for your reply, JackBauer_24 (great show btw!)..

However, I would encourage you to read the few pages of potential solutions I attempted in the BleepingComputer thread I posted above ( Log Onto an Unresponsive Desktop Background (No Icons, etc.) [Many Details] - Windows 7 ), as I had tried the sfc /scannow command, and I believe the problem was that it went through the first phase of the scan (100% complete) and then immediately closed and nothing came of it afterward.

And, as previously mentioned, I'm almost positive that the issue is not software-related, as I reformatted and performed a clean install of Windows on my hard drive. I would simply like to know how to confirm where the problem lies (at this point I believe it's the video card gone bad), and if there's anything I can do to resolve it.

Thanks,
Troy

#9 · (Edited)
Yes, yes I do, and my problem does not occur when I use the IGFX setting in my BIOS Setup.

Just thought I'd post an update on something I've uncovered, as this man's error is VERY similar to mine, although it appears that it cannot be fixed the same way (maybe because the card is indeed bad).

After AMD Driver Install, I only see my wallpaper. Please Help! [Solved] - Graphics Cards - Graphics & Displays

Basically, this man, when solving his thing, right clicks on his desktop and goes to "Screen resolution" (at least on Windows 7) and switches from Monitor 2 to Monitor 1. In my case, I only get Monitor 1, nothing to change, even after I hit Detect. However, under Display: (right under where the Monitor 1 & 2 would be), it is completely blank - there's nothing there. Mind you, this is booting up in Safe Mode (not IGX in BIOS, but PCIe 1 Slot [my NVIDIA card]). When I go to Advanced Settings, the Adapter Type has absolutely nothing in it, and everything under Adapter Information says <unavailable>.

I figure this was significant information that may assist in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks,
Troy

#12 ·
Hi, you have been given some good advice from the other forums, the conclusion that your video card is at fault appears to be most likely.

However from your own admission you are not too tech savy, would it be possible to have a friend who does know more have a look for you? I am concerned the connections may not be correct, or the BIOS settings are still on integrated, when you make changes in the BIOS you need to save them before exiting.

Could you go to start, search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" a dos type cmd window will open with a flashing cursor, this is known as the cmd prompt, at this prompt copy paste the following:-

wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) a notepad will open with details about your video card, please copy paste this into your next post.

#13 ·
I'm positive everything's plugged in correctly, and I do indeed Save and Exit for my BIOS Setup changes.

Your request:

Description=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
PNPDeviceID=PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1187&SUBSYS_28481462&REV_A1\4&12FFC0F&0&0008

Description=Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
PNPDeviceID=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_06\3&11583659&1&10

I ended up typing it out because I did the command prompt thing in Safe Mode, do tell me if I messed up somewhere.

#16 · (Edited)
Jenae's right Jack, I have already covered that. As for the cables, I'm not sure, but it's worked fine for the past nine months, so I can't imagine it being the problem. One monitor, by the way.

Jenae - I've already attempted updating to the latest drivers. Several times, in fact. I do believe that isn't the problem. I still want to believe that it's a hardware problem and would like to confirm which piece of hardware is malfunctioning.

This issue is very annoying for me because it's out of my area of knowledge.

Thanks again,
Troy :banghead:

#17 ·
Hi, well if you open the case (make sure ALL power is off) and firstly check to make sure the video card is properly seated requires a firm steady pressure to make sure it is seated properly in it's slot. If all appears well (we know the card is properly fitted, so this is not the issue) then remove the card. Restart and set your BIOS to the IGFX. If all is well then you know its the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.