Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Learn VLC, or buy PowerDVD?

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Laxer 
#1 · (Edited)
I've heard that VLC can play blu-ray disks. And I've read elsewhere that it cant. If it cannot, is it because it only displays a picture that is not true blu-ray, but a display close to blu-ray with some minor changes in it, the changes being only enough to define the picture as "not blu-ray"? Is the difference between Powerdvd and VLC visible to the human eye eye when playing a blu-ray disk? I'm trying to avoid paying $60.00 for PowerDvD (I just bought a blu-ray drive -without software). I have to admit PowerDvD does have an easy to use interface, and VLC has a steep learning curve and I dont know how to setup VLC for true blu-ray. If someone who KNOWS what they are talking about would show me what settings to use in VLC to play Blu-ray disks ( and HD files from my hard drive) I could see for myself if VLC would be ok for me.
With the money I save by not buying PowerdVD, I might make a donation again to this techSupportForum, but first youre going to have to prove to me that VLC really CAN play blu-ray disks, without any major on-the-fly (or not) conversions of the picture that would make it just a "fascimele" ( not sure if I spelled that right (?)) of a blu-ray disk display. If you know of any other software blu-ray players that is cheaper than PowerDvD that would be another option for me. I dont know the terminology used in the VLC settings.
When I tried to play a blu-ray disk, it froze on the first "frame".
For the moment, I'll be using the trial version of PowerDvD that will expire in a couple weeks. Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I understand...:I didn't want to pay for PowerDvD, and you tell me the answer is buying and using ******* which cost $49 AND the process includes playing it back on VLC from the hard drive. Now I have to use 2 video utility/player programs AND set up VLC for playback?!!? This pushes me toward paying for PowerDvD.
I'm almost persuaded to believe that YOU have something to gain by me buying PowerDvD! You should work for them!! JUST KIDDING!... Your info would be great to use if I just wanted to do it once, but I watch too many dvds and blu-rays to go through that process for each one. Thanks for posting & helping me make up my mind.
'Any thoughts about selling me YOUR PowerDvd software???.....make me an offer?

#5 ·
'Any thoughts about selling me YOUR PowerDvd software???.....make me an offer?
No I don't work for powerDVD :rofl:

The work around alternative for VLC is a pain in the.... and I would agree that it is in no way convenient for the casual movie lover.

I have powerDVD 9, that came with my drive.... quick google search shows that it sells for around $30USD...

I will see if I can find any alternatives...

#6 ·
Spunk!: That is what I found out on my own. The OEM was $10 less for the entry level version of V.11; I decided to take the plunge.
Laxer: It is a great idea for someone who just has to see ONE blu-ray file that is important to them, but I decided that $39.00 was ok for a player that plays all the latest video file types. I've been using the trial version and I really like the no-brainer interface. I'm cautiously curious about the 2D=3D feature: Can anyone tell me, does it work well, or is it lame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.