Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop Keyboard and Touchpad won't work :(

5K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  bornahorse 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 runing with Windows Vista.

My disc drive wasn't reading the disc, so I followed these instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Windows Vista
Click Start, and then click All Programs.
Click Accessories, and then click Run.
Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

I deleted both the upper and lower filters, the restarted my computer. The drive worked like new, except my keyboard and touchpad and volume keys wouldn't. My external mouse works, and i can "type" using an on-screen keyboard, which is unacceptable.
And, for whatever reason, my internet doesn't work. I double click on the icons and nothing happens, though at the status bar below it says i have a signal.

I called up Geek Squad which I should have done first, and the guy there said that I'd deleted the keyboard's 'keys' which I'm assuming is some sort of programming from the register. He said that I could either re-install windows or look online for the correct keys and reinstall them, which sounds WAY easier than reinstalling windows. I have no idea how to do that, and don't want to screw up my computer any more than it already is.

Help on this would be GREATLY appriciated. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#5 ·
Err... whats the kb314060? Sorry, I'm not very techie. ^^;

I got an error message fomr the System Restore thing, it said that it did not complete successfully and files and settings weren't changed.
Details: An unspecified error occuried during System Restore.

It also says to try it again at a different point, but all the points that show up are fomr today, 2:09 being the earliest.

#7 ·
I tried the restore point again and it said it worked, though my keyboard, touchpad and volume buttons still don't. On the bright side, my internet works.

And how do you edit these posts? I did so once before but I must be blind now cause I can't see an "edit post" button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.