Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop Giving me hell.

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have an acer aspire 8930g running win7 hb,
for a while now after i sent it for maintenance its not booting up at all. When i start it up, it gets to the windows logo and then crashes (no black/blue screen, directly shuts down) and restarts in a sort of a reboot loop.

I started it in safe mode, which works somehow, and formatted the hard drives D and E, left c as is because it has the OS on it. still no luck. I've uninstalled all non system related programs i had, tried running system restore but there are no old system images. starting with last known good configuration hasn't worked.

I tried reinstalling windows but at the last step after it restarted and was about to install (which it cant do in safe mode) im getting the same boot up error. (so it restored the old installation).

Any help is appreciated!

pk

#7 ·
I'm sorry if i wasn't clear about the fact that it worked fine after maintenance because all they did was clean it out with compressed air. I just said that because the problem started a week after that. sorry about the confusion. It seems to be a software problem. any help regarding that part?

#8 ·
#9 ·
I had installed windows seven on it, which wasn't the original os. The laptop shipped with Vista, and when i installed win7 i guess the recovery partition was wiped? anywho the
alt + f10 thing doesnt work...
I just want to get it back to factory defaults or at least clean memory wiped with a working OS :(

#10 · (Edited)
You just need to do a clean install.
Put your Windows 7 installation disk in. Get into BIOS. Select boot from CD from the boot order option. Once prompted select the "Install Now". Click the custom setup if you aren't planning on backing anything up. If there is a previous OS on a partition. Select that partition and press D, to delete it. You will be prompted to ensure you want to delete the primary partition. Delete the system partition as well. The disk should be unallocated now. Now you can install windows 7.

Anymore problems and its probably a hardware issue. I would suggest you let your local PC repair to install the new windows if you aren't confident.

#11 ·
Thanks superion. It's crashing when booted from the disk as well (always at the starting windows logo page) i didn't know the cd had that, god knows why its crashing there. I'll take it to the acer place soon anyway. just wanted to see if there was something i could do.

#12 ·
When you boot from the CD/DVD, you should see the message Press Any Key To Boot From CD/DVD after that it does not boot into Windows or from the HDD, so it shouldn't be crashing from the disc, unless there is a hardware issue.
When you boot from the CD/DVD choose your language, then Install, then Custom, then Drive Options. Here Delete the partitions that were created that had Windows on it, and do not partition or format, Then let Windows install. The Windows install will create partitions and format

#13 ·
When you boot from the CD/DVD, you should see the message Press Any Key To Boot From CD/DVD after that it does not boot into Windows or from the HDD, so it shouldn't be crashing from the disc, unless there is a hardware issue.
It shows the press any key screen,
next it shows a screen that says windows is loading files,
then it goes to the starting windows (logo) screen (as per windows 7)
then it crashes.

#15 ·
If it can't boot from an installation disk, then likely you have some hardware issues going on. Do you have original recovery disks from your computer?

#16 · (Edited)
Are you even able to enter BIOS? Restart the system. As soon as the screen goes blank. Hold down several keys at once. The intent is to cause a keyboard error to force access to the BIOS. Sometimes this method works. Now try and boot from the installation disk with the instructions spunk.funk has suggested. If you still can't boot from the installation disk try booting into safe mode again from your HDD. Once in safe mode, run a check disk to see if your hard drive is good. If check disk fails to complete then you have a bad HDD and all options to back up data is considered, well I would consider backing up before the diagnostic test. Also, try booting with your installation disk from another computer and see if it will just boot from it. And yes, I agree with djaburg to try and use the original vista installation disk that came with your laptop and see if that would even boot. (I think that's what he means, correct me if I'm wrong) And what did acer say? Did you ever get in contact with them?

#17 ·
I had installed windows seven on it......It shows the press any key screen,
next it shows a screen that says windows is loading files,
then it goes to the starting windows (logo) screen (as per windows 7)
then it crashes.
How are you installing Windows 7? Either your Windows 7 install Media is defective and needs to be redone, or the HDD has failed or is failing.
On another computer download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either tests fail the HDD needs to be replaced. If it passes all tests, then reburn your Windows Install Disc

#19 ·
When you boot from the CD/DVD choose your language, then Install, then Custom, then Drive Options. Here Delete the partitions that were created that had Windows on it, and do not partition or format, Then let Windows install. The Windows install will create partitions and format
You do not install Windows while you are booted into Windows in Safe Mode, You have to Boot from the Windows DVD and follow the instructions in the Quote above

#20 ·
Hi, :) Safe mode is for recovery and backup up as well as detective steps not installing software. If all you can do is boot in safe mode, follow the steps that have been given to test your hard drive and back your data up! It's always best to prepare for the worst before troubleshooting.

#21 ·
I think theres been some misunderstanding... i was in safe mode, i started installation of windows seven by opening the disk file in autorun because i read online that you can install files in safe mode if you enable windows installer, but after completing installation when it restarted into normal mode it crashed as usual (my major issue above) and when i boot into safe mode, it says cannot complete installation and reboots and crashes again and so on... i just want to wipe it and get a clean empty install of windows.

#23 ·
Yes, the misunderstanding is, if you want to Reinstall Windows, that you do NOT do it in Safe Mode, but that you boot from the CD/DVD. this is the easiest and best way to get a fresh clean install.
If you just want to just replace missing or corrupted files in Windows, Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. You do not require a Windows disc for this proceedure. If this doesn't fix the problem, then Reinstall Windows by booting from the CD/DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.