Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop CD drive won't read/show up in Computer

5K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
Well, at first when I push the button, it wouldn't open. So I stuck a paper clip into the little "release hole" and that opened it and the little green light started flashing and when I put the cd in and closed it, I heard what I'm guessing is the laser moving around (I've heard this before my cd drive quit working so I don't think its abnormal), and also the cd spinning. But nothing happened and I checked computer if I could start autoplay from there but there wasn't an icon for my cd drive. I hope I can fix it without full system restore and registry editing. But if I have to do the registry, I hope its fully detailed so I don't mess anything up.

(I don't know exactly what info is needed...)
HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook PC
Windows Vista SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 1.80 GHz
32-bit Operating System

#7 ·
I put a cd in and it sounds like its running for a few seconds but then nothing happens: the sound stops, no autoplay comes up, and no programs open. I tried an audio cd, a dvd, and a driver cd, nothing works and all of the discs are brand new.

#11 ·
Hi, how did you fix the upper and lower filters? Did you use the MS fix it? Or did you manually modify the registry. It is unusual for both upper and lower filters to be present, usually only one.

Is the cd rom drive recognized in the BIOS?

Edit:-
Oscar was posting as I typed

#13 ·
Hi, well the BIOS is pretty important means Basic Input Output System and is integrated into the MB. As you add devices such as HDD, CD Rom Drives, Video cards, Sound Cards, Network cards etc.. the MB bios recognizes them and through it's drivers OR the drivers provided enables these devices to work. This is a simple explanation you can google for much more info, it is also common for MB manufacturers to issue updates to the BIOS.

Normally you would access the bios as you boot your computer (often you will see something like press F2 or F10 for setup) as you boot , most today use F2. You will see your bios the main menu usually shows what you are looking for, the devices recognized as bootable usually HDD, cd rom, USB or Network, we want you to see if the CD rom device shows as one of these devices.

In addition, as you say you did this manually, and if you do not know anything about BIOS, you most certainly should not be anywhere near the registry. (I hope you backed up your registry beforehand)

Go to start, search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-(copy paste)

Code:
Reg Query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"> 0 & notepad 0
press enter, post the notepad outcome here.

#14 · (Edited)
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Class    REG_SZ    CDROM
    ClassDesc    REG_SZ    @%SystemRoot%\System32\StorProp.dll,-17001
    (Default)    REG_SZ    DVD/CD-ROM drives
    IconPath    REG_MULTI_SZ    %SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-30
    Installer32    REG_SZ    storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller
    EnumPropPages32    REG_SZ    storprop.dll,DvdPropPageProvider
    SilentInstall    REG_SZ    1
    NoInstallClass    REG_SZ    1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\Properties
edit: Regarding the registry edit, I did exactly as oscer1's link told me under "Let me fix it myself".

#16 ·
I had the same problem with my ROM drive. There's a good chance that its fried. Let me take you back to the time the problem occurred. When the CD/DVD was stuck in the drive, did it endlessly spin? Coz if it did then the problem is a hardware one. Normally this means that one of the chips or circuits on the circuit board is fried. So you may need to replace you ROM coz fixing it costs twice as much as replacing it. To be sure that its not your laptop/ pc put another ROM in your machine and see how that works. And use one that you won't need in case the machine is the one that kills ROMs. If the new ROM is visible then we know is not your PC but the old ROM that has a problem. Let me know how it goes.

#17 ·
smuglar, it only ever spins when I put a cd in, but it stops after a few seconds.

jenae, I'm sorry I guess I know how to go into BIOS, I've seen my dad use it many times, I just always called it "setup". I did see it under boot as ENABLED. Am I supposed to see it somewhere else?

#18 ·
Yep... Then it could still be your ROM drive. When the theres power going through the ddevice it will always spin cd for a while but stops coz it cant read data without it being connected to a device such as a laptop or PC that understands the data or it being part of a Music system. Try this. Put a music cd(not mp3, plain music cd) in your rom. It should play whether it should play. If it doesn't then you are certain its you ROM

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
The first page didn't say anything about a CD/DVD drive. So that means its a hardware problem?

OK, well some sort of magic happened and when I turned my computer on today I checked this page for new posts and after I didn't see any I decided to check Computer Explorer and I saw that I had a CD/DVD icon under "Devices With Removable Storage". So I put in a store-bought audio CD and I got the autoplay and playback was working.

I'm guessing that deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters only took affect after I had the computer shut down for several hours.

Hmm, that didn't last long. I just updated iTunes and the cd drive is no longer working.

#26 ·
Hi, this is a known issue with Itunes you need to modify the value for the upper filters just removing them is a fix from MS, I guess it is the easiest way, yet it does not solve the problem MORE work please MS.

To see the "details" of all devices, go to search and type devmgmt.msc press enter, select a device then "Properties" next select "Details" expand the options under Property to see the resulting Values... upper and lower filters will reveal their value, great info for troubleshooting devices, especially if you are wanting to modify the registry.

Have a look through this:-

iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting CD issues caused by device filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.