Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

"ksod" Happening on Idle PC

This is a discussion on "ksod" Happening on Idle PC within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Basic Specs. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 C2D E8500 HD38700 Crossfire 4gb RAM 2x 250gb HD's in RAID 0 -

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Basic Specs.
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
C2D E8500
HD38700 Crossfire
4gb RAM
2x 250gb HD's in RAID 0 - partitioned three times (recovery drive, Vista OS, XP OS)

I'm running a dual boot system with XP as well and am only having this issue while using Vista. Leads me to believe that it is not hardware related.

When I am actively using my PC everything is fine. No out of the norm issues. If I leave it idle and do something like watch a movie or just leave it unattended then it will go to a blank black screen with a movable mouse after about fifteen or twenty minutes. One occasion it has went to my login screen and after logging in it was just a blank black screen. Another time it left my taskbar up and I was able to actively use open programs but could not open new ones or the task manager. Attempting to open the process viewer in Comodo froze the program.
I have read many things about a black screen with a movable cursor on startup but nothing about it happening from an idle state and working just fine while in use.

I have changed my power settings so that it wont sleep, hibernate, screensaver, etc. No change.
Ran the repair option with the Vista CD and it came up fine. Memory test was also clean.
Only time something goes wrong is when it is left idle.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

What kind of system is it?
Have you been to the system manufacturer web site and installed
their Vista drivers?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Dell XPS 630i
All drivers are up to date. No new drivers have been installed since it's started happening.
Only thing that has changed was my Firefox updated itself. Otherwise no installations or updates since. System restore to a date previous to it did not change anything.

I was thinking about reinstalling my OS, without formatting the partition, but last time I did that with an old XP installation it made all the files under the users folder (including desktop) inaccessible due to permissions.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

What are your power settings set as?
The easiest way to see is control panel|power settings.
Are you set up to hibernate or to sleep?