Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

"ISATAP has been installed" - But why? I didn't do it.

This is a discussion on "ISATAP has been installed" - But why? I didn't do it. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Rebooted my Dell w/Vista from a BSOD (one in a looooong string) and this time, after logging in, I was

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Rebooted my Dell w/Vista from a BSOD (one in a looooong string) and this time, after logging in, I was greated with a message telling me that "Microsoft ISATAP has been installed."

I did not do anything between the BSOD and the reboot (of course). I have googled for ISATAP and there are lots of explanations about how it's for tunneling and internet access etc etc - none of which I actually understand.

When I hear "tunneling" and internet access about a program that I did not myself install and which all of a sudden pops up and installs by itself, I think virus, malware, trojan, etc. I looked in the add/remove programs area and it is not listed. I don't know where else to look.

What is this thing doing on my machine, what is it accessing and what is it connecting to on the internet? Nothing I've found online gives me any warm fuzzy about this program and why it installed itself on my PC.

(oh, and as usual, the HDD is running non-stop and I have no idea why.)

I am running Vista (build 6000) and not SP1 yet because when I tried updating to SP1 two weeks ago, the machine started BSOD every 5 mins after starting. So I went back to the previous restore point.

Thanks for your help.
Buck