Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Is it possible to rollback to SP0 using others' backup files?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  billybong001 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Long story short, I would like to uninstall Service Pack 1 but unfortunately this can't be done because the backups have been removed.

Is it possible for me to roll back to SP0 by borrowing this backup image from someone else or another computer?

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Is it possible to rollback to SP0 using others' backup files?

We do not suggest rolling back the service pack as there are many security holes filled and necessary updates in SP1.
But if, when you installed Windows, you had to download SP1, as opposed to install Windows from a disc with SP1 slipstreamed into it, you can go to Programs and Features and you can Uninstall SP1. If you installed from an SP1 disc, you will not be able to roll back.
You would not be able to install from a backup unless the Backup is a clone image of Windows 7 SP0, you could use that to reinstall Windows 7 with no service pack. Or use a disc of Windows 7 with no service pack

#4 ·

Good day guys and thanks for the come back.

What happened was I installed SP1 via Windows Update. After this was done, I had some problems with Task Scheduler, so I tried to do a repair (upgrade) install using an SP1 image from here. Turns out this was the digital equivalent of burning my only bridge back to SP0.

There is a ton of software, including one that has accumulated a 300GB database and would take an entire day just to install and validate. The OS itself has been running fine for over 3 years with good maintenance. Especially with quite a lot of work these days I'd just hate to wipe the disk.

I was fiddling around with the registry entries under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion trying to allow my original (SP0) disc to proceed with install instead of throwing a "OS version is newer" error but to no luck. Are there any other unconventional ways to roll back?

#5 ·

A more specific question; does anyone know what registry value(s) Windows Setup checks before determining your current build/service pack level?

So far, the following don't work:
BuildLab
BuildLabEx
CSDBuildNumber
CSDVersion
CurrentBuild
CurrentBuildNumber
CurrentVersion

#6 ·

The OS itself has been running fine for over 3 years with good maintenance
If the computer is running well, then why do you want to roll back to No Service Pack?
You cannot roll back SP1 in your case. You cannot use a backup to go back. You cannot edit the Registry to fool Windows into letting you go back to Windows 7 with no service pack. You cannot install Windows in a new folder, without a service pack.
Your only option, if you must do this, is to reinstall with a Windows 7 disc with no service pack.

#7 ·

Hi all,

I am happy to say that my problems have been solved. I finally decided to sit down and fight these errors one by one, turns out they are just a bunch of corrupted tasks and some problem with Catalyst. Deleting these files and rolling back to an earlier driver fixed them all. While I was at it I also ironed out some harmless Event Viewer warnings.

The computer now runs as good as ever and a reformat is out of the question. I guess in this case what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :cool:

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.